Plugin Contributions

Default Removing site wide TITLE content

Hi,

I've been reliably informed by our SEO expert that the content we have in the side wide TITLE tag is "killing" our page specific content. By this I mean the store's "Tagline" (for want of a better word) that appears after the product description in the title.

Firstly, how do I remove this site wide content from the TITLE tag?
    I recall when we first set up our store that there's a text field for this somewhere in the admin... can't find it anywhere though.

Secondly, if I remove the content from the TITLE tag as suggested above, will there be no title on the front page of our website? (Since the index page uses the site wide TITLE content)

Finally, how can I remove the price from the TITLE tag of product pages?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Removing site wide TITLE content

Who is this "reliable SEO expert"?

He/she is talking rubbish. I suggest you demand a full refund as this person is the internet's equivalent to a "quack" in the medical profession.

The <title> tag is a critical element of proper SE spidering, so to remove it would be disastrous for you.

Zencart is inherently optimised for XHTML compliance, and consequently, SE spidering.

You need rather to focus on good meta descriptions and page content. You should remove any "SEO" modules you may have installed, and rather install SITEMAPS XML by Andrew Berezin, and then work in conjunction with your SE webmaster dashboards to get these sitemaps indexed.

Then there is the on-going (and necessarily tedious) exercise of increasing your page rank potential by gaining site popularity.

High Serps are a result of a lot of hard work in gaining greater site popularity, and convincing the SE's of your content's relevance.

Trust that ZC creates your page headers and meta data accurately and effectively... Yes, it does require some manual configuration... but don't believe that junk currently being offered by your SEQ (Search Engine Quack).
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

There are several places where header and meta content is managed.

Start by looking in

admin>>>catalog>>>product types... select Product - General (then click EDIT LAYOUT button)...

Here you can select what to include in the meta content:

Show Metatags Title Default - Product Title
    Show Metatags Title Default - Product Name
    Show Metatags Title Default - Product Model
    Show Metatags Title Default - Product Price
    Show Metatags Title Default - Product Tagline

You can specify additional meta content for categories and products by clicking on the little "BMW" icon in the various edit screen options for categories and products.

You can also set certain meta content conditions in the languages meta_tags.php files relevant to your template.

Also, look in admin>>>configuration>>>product info
    Last edited by schoolboy; 22 Feb 2010 at 04:11 PM.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated!

Sorry I probably didn't make my previous post, or what our seo bod actually said, very clear. We've got a bunch of keywords in the site wide TITLE content that are diluting the weighting of on-page tags (h1s, h2s etc) on product pages. I certainly don't want to remove the title tag entirely as, like you said that would be disastrous, I just want to change the content of this site wide tag.
    My question about the index page was more about whether or not I could add a unique title to the index page rather than use the site wide title that other pages adopt.

The only SEO mod we have installed right now is Ceon's SEO friendly URIs which is an awesome mod but I'll definitely take your advice and get the xml maps mod installed, haven't seen that one before.

Search Marketing has been our business for a long time so I don't want to get into a slanging match :) but it's fair to say that the most cutting edge SEO is based on theories and hunches which change on a daily basis (and I lost track of them a long time ago!). Almost everyone in our industry thinks they have the killer strategy but our seo quack has at least got an excellent track record on the other sites we run which ultimately is the clincher!

Plugin Contributions

OK, managed to remove the price fine.

Is it possible to remove the SITE_TAGLINE from product pages so I'm just left with the TITLE?
    I've disabled 'Show Metatags Title Default - Product Tagline' but the tagline is still showing up on Product pages. Do I need to disable elsewhere too?

Duncan

Plugin Contributions

Hmm...

I think I've solved the above question by setting up HOME_PAGE_TITLE and then leaving SITE_TAGLINE blank. That way I only have TITLE shown on product pages (after product description, etc).

Please correct me if that's a dodgy way of doing it!

Cheers
    Dunc

Plugin Contributions

hi there ,

I have tried everything possible that i could to fix this problem but with no success . my homepage meta title doesn't show my specified titles despite that i have already the title in the meta title.php and will still doesnt show it and instead it will display

home_page_title. am using custom template can you help me please

below is how my screen look

?php
    /**
    * @package languageDefines
    * @copyright Copyright 2003-2007 Zen Cart Development Team
    * @copyright Portions Copyright 2003 osCommerce
    * @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0
    * @version $Id: meta_tags.php 6668 2007-08-16 10:05:09Z drbyte $

// page title
    define('TITLE','chi hair straightener chi hair straighteners chi flat iron');

// Site Tagline
    define('SITE_TAGLINE', 'chi hair iron');

// Custom Keywords
    define('CUSTOM_KEYWORDS', 'ecommerce, open source, shop, online shopping');

// Home Page Only:
    define('HOME_PAGE_META_DESCRIPTION', 'we carry the best chi hair straightener chi hair straighteners chi flat iron that comes with1 year warranty and free shipping');
    define('HOME_PAGE_META_KEYWORDS', 'chi hair straightener chi hair straighteners chi flat iron');

// NOTE: If HOME_PAGE_TITLE is left blank (default) then TITLE and SITE_TAGLINE will be used instead.
    define('HOME_PAGE_TITLE', ''); // usually best left blank