Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: About Us page in Information sidebox

You did right.

The location for the original unadulterated file is
    /includes/modules/sideboxes/information.php

and since this file can be overriden by a template version, we copy it to
    /includes/modules/sideboxes/MYTEMPLATE/information.php and butcher/merge the code in it to our hearts content.

Plugin Contributions

Great, moving along.

Now, the about us appears in the dropdown list in the define pages manager and can be editied. Progress.

The link does not appear in the sidebar box. First, to match the other entries, I added the following to /includes/modules/sideboxes/MYTEMPLATE/information.php:

<code>
    if (DEFINE_FILENAME_SHIPPING <=1) {

$information[] = '<a href="' . zen_href_link(FILENAME_ABOUT_US) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_ABOUT_US . '</a>';
    </code>

even though the readme file only contains this line:

<code>
    FILENAME_SHIPPING):

$information[] = '<a href="' . zen_href_link(FILENAME_ABOUT_US) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_ABOUT_US . '</a>';
    </code>

but it didn't work as is, that's why I tried to match existing format.

One other variable is that in an earlier attempt, pre about_us module, I changed the text to the links in the box. I doubt this affects anything but worth mentioning.

Bottom line, everything seems to be working except that the about us link is not appearing in the sidebox. Neither automatically nor manually. The entire information box disappears.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Euonym; 19 Aug 2010 at 07:18 PM.

Plugin Contributions

I need to add to the above that I tried with and without the
    (FILENAME_SHIPPING): as I wasn't sure which was appropriate.

I inserted the piece here:

unset($information);

if (DEFINE_SHIPPINGINFO_STATUS <= 1) {

$information[] = '<a href="' . zen_href_link(FILENAME_SHIPPING) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_SHIPPING . '</a>';

I sure wish this was incorporated into the basic build...

Plugin Contributions

Just for fun, I put the

define('BOX_HEADING_INFORMATION', 'Information');
    define('BOX_INFORMATION_PRIVACY', 'Privacy');
    define('BOX_INFORMATION_CONDITIONS', 'Conditions');
    define('BOX_INFORMATION_SHIPPING', 'Shipping');
    define('BOX_INFORMATION_CONTACT', 'Contact Us');

back in the english.php file just to see if it made any difference. Of course not. But I did notice that there was no reference to About_Us in the list. Adding it manually did not help.

Also, there is no reference to it in the Define Page Status list.

Plugin Contributions

The readme says
    5. The link to the about_us page has already been added to the information sidebox
    so if that is true you should not have to do the modification you have been posting about. Either the mod is not built as it says it is, or you have some files missing or installed wrong. We really can't tell from here what you have done.

You should have installed /includes/modules/sideboxes/MYTEMPLATE/information.php to that path, not to /includes/modules/sideboxes/information.php (which should be left untouched).
    Last edited by gjh42; 20 Aug 2010 at 04:50 PM.

Plugin Contributions

As I installed the "About us" page and link it without any problem, let me explain a few things which are probably not very clear in the Readme file:

The information.php file contains the list of links in the information box. If you have the default links (shipping, privacy, conditions etc), forget anything about MERGE and the "About us" link will be automatically added on top of the list and will appear in the box.

Now, if you want to add another page, you have to MERGE the new page information. Having added many pages (and the corresponding links) what I did was:

Copied any link information, for example

Code:
      if (DEFINE_SHIPPINGINFO_STATUS <= 1) {
        $information[] = '<a href="' . zen_href_link(FILENAME_SHIPPING) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_SHIPPING . '</a>';
      }
    changed the string SHIPPING to the new page name and pasted these three changed lines inside the file between another two definitions, depending where I wanted the link to appear: first, second, third etc.

The same MERGE has to be performed within the tpl_site_map_default.php file, where you would place the new page link within the existing link in the exact position you want it to appear.

You should have installed /includes/modules/sideboxes/MYTEMPLATE/information.php to that path, not to /includes/modules/sideboxes/information.php (which should be left untouched).
    Glenn's comment about the path to install the information.php file is correct and the Readme file needs to be updated.

As I have used this module and have successfully installed many pages which can be seen in the "Information" box, here is the folders structure I have used (you don't need to use the "greek" folder and its subfolders if your site is mono-lingual). File names within each folder are in parentheses:

[FONT="Courier New"]includes
    extra datafiles (about_us_filenames.php)
    languages
    english (about_us.php)
    extra_definitions (about_us.php)
    my_template (about_us.php)
    html_includes (define_about_us.php)
    greek (about_us.php)
    extra_definitions (about_us.php)
    my_template (about_us.php)
    html_includes (define_about_us.php)
    modules
    pages
    about_us (header_php.php)
    sideboxes
    my_template (information.php)
    templates
    my_template
    templates (tpl_about_us_default.php and tpl_site_map_default.php)
    [/FONT]
    Overrides is my weak point and still find it very confusing after hours of reading. I may have therefore created more or maybe less my_template folders than necessary but you get the general idea.

I think that all changes made by Euonym have made the module inoperable. I would restore all the original files and start from scratch, following the Readme file and whatever part of the above explanations is helpful.

Wishes for good luck and for a nice evening.
    Last edited by Athens Collectibles; 20 Aug 2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Correction of folder structure

Plugin Contributions

I am using cherry_zen and would like to add the about us page to the top navagation bar, any Ideas how I can do this please.

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

The "About Us" page is a separate add-on module based on the standard template. You want to install it on the Cherry Zen, which is a custom template and I'm sure that this won't be easy. Cherry Zen has its own support forum: Cherry Zen Template Support Forum and I would post there for help.

Many wishes for good luck. Cherry Zen is a lovely template and I would like to explore it but was put off by the 3000+ posts in its support forum.

Plugin Contributions

Actually, the installation of an additional page and sidebox link should not be much if any different in this case; a template does not change the fundamental workings of the page system. Getting the link in the top navbar is a separate matter from the normal mod, and can probably be achieved in the same manner as with other links in that location. That question has been asked and answered many times.

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

I have the about us mod installed for some time. I've just decided to add another pagge and followed the instructions, but the new page (only in my dev environment) cuts off the footer information.

I've clearly missed something, I just can't see what it is - can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
    Adam.

www.chococielo.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast