Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default pickup only for some products

I am sure this has been asked but I can't find what I am looking for.

I have a store that has products that cannot be shipped (explosives). These products only account for about 5% of the store. Is there a way I can mark these products as pickup only. That would mean that if the customer ordered any other product that can be shipped it would give the store pickup option only.

We also have "call for price" products so I can't use that option as a means to identify them.

Any comments would be most helpful.

Regards

Fred

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: pickup only for some products

Are all the Explosive Products in the same Category ... as in using the same master_categories_id ... or within a few specific Categories?

What shipping modules are you using?

You could use the function in_cart_check from the shopping cart class such as:
    Code:
    global $cart;
    $chk_explosives = $_SESSION['cart']->in_cart_check('master_categories_id','27');
    where 27 is the master_categories_id ...

When $chk_explosives > 0, then 1 or more Explosive Products is in the cart ...

Using that, you can control the $this->enabled in the shipping module to turn it on and off ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Well actually there are several categories, but only non-shippable products are contained with them.

We only have 2 shipping modules, Store Pickup and Fastways.

I would like to investigate your suggestion further.

What file/s would I apply your suggested mod to?

Regards

Fred

Plugin Contributions

You need to customize the Fastways ... but I am not familar with it ...

In most shipping modules, for example, Flat Rate flat in the file:
    /includes/modules/flat.php

there is some code like:
    Code:
          // disable only when entire cart is free shipping
          if (zen_get_shipping_enabled($this->code)) {
            $this->enabled = ((MODULE_SHIPPING_FLAT_STATUS == 'True') ? true : false);
          }
    The $this->enabled is first checked for should it show based on Free Shipping conditions and if it is turned on in the first place ...

Let's say you want the Categories that hold the explosives, where they are in categories_id 10, 13 and 15 ... so the master_categories_id are 10, 13 and 15 ... and don't want the Flat Rate flat shipping module to show ...

That code can be changed with:
    Code:
          // disable only when entire cart is free shipping
          if (zen_get_shipping_enabled($this->code)) {
            $this->enabled = ((MODULE_SHIPPING_FLAT_STATUS == 'True') ? true : false);
          }

// bof: disable for categories_id 10, 13 and 15
          if (!IS_ADMIN_FLAG) {
            global $cart;
            $chk_explosives_10 = $_SESSION['cart']->in_cart_check('master_categories_id','10');
            $chk_explosives_13 = $_SESSION['cart']->in_cart_check('master_categories_id','13');
            $chk_explosives_15 = $_SESSION['cart']->in_cart_check('master_categories_id','15');

$chk_explosives = $chk_explosives_10 + $chk_explosives_13 + $chk_explosives_15;
            if ($chk_explosives > 0) {
              $this->enabled = false;
            }
          }
    // eof: disable for categories_id 10, 13 and 15

if ( ($this->enabled == true) && ((int)MODULE_SHIPPING_FLAT_ZONE > 0) ) {
    Now if 1 or more Products are in the Explosive Categories 10, 13 or 15 then this module will not show ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Wow, how awesome is that. I entered your mod with the appropriated categories defined and it worked exactly as I required.

We have been thinking about how we were going to resolve this issue for several years. Up until now we had simply added a comment to the categories stating that all those products cannot be shipped. But as we all know, there seem to be a growing number of customers that seem to only see what they wanted to see and we were getting a growing number of orders with prohibited items in the order. Surprisingly some customers got grumpy when we said we couldn't ship this or that because it was prohibited.

Thank you so much for your help.

Regards

Fred

Plugin Contributions

You are most welcome ... remember us when you are rich and famous ...

NOTE: you might use something similar to add a note on your shopping cart page based on these Products being in the cart to alert the customer to the limited shipping possiblities, because these explosive products are in the cart ...

That would give them an opportunity to know that by removing those, they can complete the order with shipping, rather than wondering why there isn't a shipping option available on the checkout_shipping other than Store Pickup ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Linda

I have been pondering this and have thought of a mod that would probably be worth investigating.

When the product is entered there would be the ability to select available shipping methods for the product.

This would mean that the system would scan for installed shipping modules and would give the option of selecting shipping methods from that list.

Not sure how hard that would be to do, or even if it would be practical for anyone else but me, but it was a thought and I figured I would put it out there.

Regards

Fred

Plugin Contributions

And when multiple Products with mixed shipping options are entered into the cart ... then what?
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

I use a site in Hong Kong where this happens already, and I am always left with several shipping method selections.

Lets say you have a number of shipping methods (multiple transport/shipping agents). Some agents will ship all items but others will only ship some.

When the shipping methods comes up it will only display those methods that suit "ALL" products in the cart. You may end up with one or two methods. The customer can then have the option of selecting the shipping method they wish.

As a function the shipping module would simply not display any shipping method not applicable to the product/s. A process of elimination leaving only valid options for the entire cart.

Regards

Fred

Plugin Contributions

While something for this could probably be written ... you might do a Google search on:
    Ceon advanced shipper

and see if it has something to help manage this properly ...

That is a commercial shipping package, however it may help you control the shipping methods ... otherwise, you would need to customize the shipping methods to check the cart for a flag or flags on what shipping can be used and control the shipping modules with the results ...
    Linda McGrath

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast