Plugin Contributions

Default How would i update the database?

Hi! I'm a newbie to zen cart. My boss told me to update his database of his online store which is powered by Zen Cart v1.3.8a/v1.3.8. When i get in to this project, everything is set up already and it's working fine.

Now, my problem is how would i update the database of his online store? He told me to download all updated images and updated database from his vendor. I have it now and i've done uploading the images to the server. I don't know what's my next step, to upload the updated database to his online store. I need somebody to guide me with this.

I have this table field from the vendor which is different from the zen cart table field.

Item Number
    Short Description
    Each Price
    Case Price
    Case Count
    Quantity Price
    Quantity Count

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How would i update the database?

Please understand that there is a BIG DIFFERENCE between:

1. Updating the DATABASE

and

2. Updating the DATA

You only need to update/upgrade the DATABASE when you install a modified version of the software (such as upgrading from 1.3.7 to 1.3.8)

You are already using 1.3.8a, so you are working with the latest version on the software and it needs no updating.

Your boss is referring to the product data, and wants you to update product information.

You can do this via Easy Populate - a free version (1.2.5.4) is available from HERE

(Please use the 1.2.5.4 version)

There is a TUTORIAL in the WIKI on Easy Populate.

There is also a support thread on the forum.

Plugin Contributions

3. You can manually insert all that info the old fashioned way: logging into the Admin and creating products. (the admin handles all the writing to the MySQL database)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by HTsean View Post
    3. You can manually insert all that info the old fashioned way: logging into the Admin and creating products.
    Of course this is possible...

How many products are we talking about here?

Manually, each product could take up to 2 minutes to insert (depending on the length an format of product descriptions)

1000 products = 2000 minutes = 34 hours of solid work.

With Easy Populate, the same exercise would probably take no more than 2 or 3 hours = ten times faster.

Plugin Contributions

thank you thank you! i will try all your advice.

Plugin Contributions

hehe yes I know.. but let's not forget zaira's experience level.

I hope I'm not sounding too anal about this, but I would actually discourage any 'newbies' from using easy populate until they have an understanding of at least how zencart's admin is manipulating the database.

Plugin Contributions

hehe yes I know.. but let's not forget zaira's experience level.

I hope I'm not sounding too anal about this, but I would actually discourage any 'newbies' from using easy populate until they have an understanding of at least how zencart's admin is manipulating the database.
    Good point...

... but if you follow schoolboy's WIKI, and make sure to do a small test run as he suggests, you should be able to cope.

... "a journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step".

Of course an ideal situation is to have a TEST SITE installation where you can practice this without potentially damaging your operating shop.

Creating a test site is easy - and can be done in a sub-directory of the domain.

Everyone managing a zenshop should have a testing area...

Plugin Contributions

Well, on that note, then I'd like to share a little 'bug' I came across if you choose to use Excel to edit/create easy populate files:

If you have sku numbers that go something like: 0021

Then remember to have Excel save the sku number column as a 4 digit numeral, or it will save it as '21' and it will just create new products, in essence a copy of 0021 if a product with the sku number of 0021 is already in the database.

Plugin Contributions

Well, on that note, then I'd like to share a little 'bug' I came across if you choose to use Excel to edit/create easy populate files:

If you have sku numbers that go something like: 0021

Then remember to have Excel save the sku number column as a 4 digit numeral, or it will save it as '21' and it will just create new products, in essence a copy of 0021 if a product with the sku number of 0021 is already in the database.
    If the Excel column is formatted as NUMBER, this will happen (0024 will show as 24), but if you format the column as TEXT before values are entered, then you may prevent this from happening.... or escape the default by putting ' before 0024 ('0024)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by fairestcape View Post
    If the Excel column is formatted as NUMBER, this will happen (0024 will show as 24), but if you format the column as TEXT before values are entered, then you may prevent this from happening.... or escape the default by putting ' before 0024 ('0024)
    This is very important information and should be included in the readme file in easypopulate. Thank you for the advice on the Excel settings.