Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: HELP.. killed my phpmyadmin when trying to reset password.. now nothing works

That would be any software which uses a database, such as Zen-cart. You need to ensure db name, username and pw are reflected in your two configure files.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: HELP.. killed my phpmyadmin when trying to reset password.. now nothing works

thecousil,
    I'm guessing you don't "get" how a web-based database-driven application works.

1. MySQL is your database engine. In it you create various databases that are used by your various web applications. Each database is assigned a database-username and corresponding password. These are used by your web software applications to authorize those applications (ie: php scripts) to access the database content. In the case of Zen Cart, you enter this information in the two configure.php files. You do something similar for Wordpress.

2. INSIDE the database tables (ie: "zen_admin" or just "admin" if you're not using tablename prefixes like "zen_") there might be places where your store's back-end security credentials are stored, such as the username and password you type in when you wish to login to your Zen Cart store's administration area.
    Further, in the case of Zen Cart there's also customer account usernames and passwords that are stored in other tables to allow your customers to authenticate themselves when wishing to shop.

So ...

The MySQL database username and password are managed from your hosting company's control panel services, and in some less-sophisticated services maybe even handled via phpMyAdmin under the database-privileges section. It's VERY RARE TO EVER CHANGE THIS INFORMATION ONCE IT IS INITIALLY SET. And that is completely external to anything related to Zen Cart. The only part that Zen Cart cares about is that if you change the username or password in that area, you need to tell Zen Cart about it in the configure.php files. Same with Wordpress.
    Contact your hosting company for help with managing your databases. If you've fooled around in there and broken things, then you really need the help of someone who can work with you interactively at the server and figure out what you've broken and how to fix it. Again, that's not a Zen Cart issue.

Earlier in this discussion you talked about resetting your Admin username and password. The assumption made by those persons trying to help you is that you were talking about your Zen Cart Admin User account password. That's what the tutorial https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=2 is referring to: ie: the username/password you use to login to your store's administration section to configure the store and manage orders.
    IF THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT INITIALLY THEN ALL THIS DISCUSSION IS MOOT BECAUSE WE DIDN'T GET ENOUGH INFO FROM YOU INITIALLY IN ORDER TO DIRECT YOU ELSEWHERE.

I doubt this discussion has anything to do with your customer account password in your storefront, so no need to discuss that.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

This is what happened..

I got a sale (doesn't happen very often).. I didn't know I got a sale until I got the email from PayPal. I never got one through the website.
    Went to the website admin login screen and couldn't remember my password.
    Used the button on the screen to get a new password and no email came.
    Came to this forum found the myphpadmin directions.
    Logged into hosting service.
    Forgot password there and had to reset that.
    Finally got logged into database and followed the directions for resetting username and password.
    After trying and failing a few times I finally got the successful screen shot and returned to website to test.

Nothing worked.

Called host and they told me there was no backup (I thought I had backed up but didn't). They could work on it but it would be $150 or so to try to fix it or if he were me he would search online since it sounded like only one thing was changed. Not enough sales to pay to justify that. All the information is still there.. just something not connecting in some string (according to host).

So I searched and ended up posting.

Where are the configure.php files? I remember when I was setting everything up years ago changing php files. Not sure if it was for the Wordpress or the Zen-cart though. Like I said this site has been set up for years with no problems (well initial problems) but none in the last at least 3 years.

thanks for any suggestions, information or anything.. :)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by thecounsil View Post
    Hosting is telling me that there is no backup. I thought I had run the backup before changing but I guess I didn't. So they can't "fix" it.. oh but they will have someone work on it for $150 or something like that.
    We host with a company that does AUTO-BACKUP every 6 hours... cost of which is built into their very modest hosting fees.

With eCommerce, 'tis VITAL to host with a good host - or your business is at risk.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Unfortunately it's way past 6 hrs since the problems arose. All the files are still there.. unfortunately something is just not syncing up.. or something..

Plugin Contributions

I think that you have done this:-

You have gone into your host account c-panel, and in the database management area, you have configured a NEW database user and NEW database password, then assigned that user to the database in question, and removed the original username and password.

Now... any site trying to find that database cannot do so, because the CONFIGURE files of the websites are being told to apply the database's ORIGINAL database user and password.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart 1.5.0 running on Windows/Linux with MySQL version 5.0
    My website has been up and running for a couple years now with very few problems.
    When did you upgrade to ZenCart 1.5.0?

When did your problems start? Before the upgrade, after the upgrade, or was it a result of attempting to upgrade?

I'm asking this because ZenCart 1.5 hasn't been around for "a couple of years", which means you are either mistaken about the version number, or, for some reason or other you've failed to mention the upgrade, which leads to the second of my questions.

If your problems started before you upgraded, many of the symptoms you have mentioned smells suspiciiously like you store may have been hacked.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Rod,

I have no clue when the last upgrade was. I haven't touched the website in a couple of years so it was a couple years ago.

When the issued started I was NOT upgrading anything. I was trying to get into the admin section to see if I could get more information about an order that I did not receive an email for. I couldn't remember my password so I clicked the password button but never got an email so I searched and tried the directions for the myphpadmin and messed up a few times and finally got it right.

I'm still at a loss and my site is still down.. is there away to reinstall and move files over or should I just try to find the configure files and check and make sure all the information is correct there.. ahhh.. LOL

carol

Plugin Contributions

Rod,
    I have no clue when the last upgrade was. I haven't touched the website in a couple of years so it was a couple years ago.
    In that case you are/were not using V1.5.0 as originally stated/implied. You were *probably* still using V1.3.8

When the issued started I was NOT upgrading anything. I was trying to get into the admin section to see if I could get more information about an order that I did not receive an email for. I couldn't remember my password so I clicked the password button but never got an email so I searched and tried the directions for the myphpadmin and messed up a few times and finally got it right.
    I fear that you didn't actually forget your password. Someone had changed it on you. You only ended up 'getting it right' because you managed to change it back to something else.

I'm still at a loss and my site is still down..is there away to reinstall and move files over or should I just try to find the configure files and check and make sure all the information is correct there.. ahhh.. LOL
    I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I am now convinced that your site was was hacked, at least that's what all the evidence seems to point to.

There is no easy fix.
    http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...ing_From_Hacks

Cheers
    Rod.

Plugin Contributions

So you believe I was hacked. Okay I can deal with that.

Is there anyway to use the backup files I have to restore the store front.. and by backup I mean everything that is not related to the SQL that you can only access through the host, or that I think is what you can only access through their website.

Now to get my blog back, which is more important to me right now than the store but both need to be up and running.

Thanks,
    carol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast