Plugin Contributions

Default Admin - Display Problem

Hi all.
    I just completed the Zen Cart installation, and everything appeared to go we. I went to the site, and it displayed (albeit a little funky, but I'm assuming that is normal until I have an opportunity to tweak it a little).

However, when I tried to access the Admin screen, the display only showed a blank screen with the following line repeated approximately 14 times or so.

Mac OS X  2°âATTR-â˜J˜Jcom.apple.quarantine0000;4e4fbec6;Safari;7FD1DDCD-1D34-4DB6-A790-851F795104FE|com.apple.SafariThis resource fork intentionally left blank ÿÿ

I'm accessing this via Safari on a MacBook Air (running MacX). I've also tried to access the admin from the Mac using Firefox as well, with pretty much the same results.

I've checked that I dont have Private Browsing on as well.

Any thoughts? Steve Jobs isnt returning my calls....

GB

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Zen Cart Admin - Display Problem

Please hit reply and take a look at the posting tips. That information can help us to help you.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Admin - Display Problem

Quote Originally Posted by GSBennett1962 View Post
    the display only showed a blank screen with the following line repeated approximately 14 times or so.

Mac OS X 2°âATTR-â˜J˜Jcom.apple.quarantine0000;4e4fbec6;Safari;7FD1DDCD-1D34-4DB6-A790-851F795104FE|com.apple.SafariThis resource fork intentionally left blank ÿÿ
    After looking that up in Google and reading the articles on the first page of results, it seems quite likely that your FTP program has uploaded the files incorrectly, or it's uploaded several extra files that don't belong, and Safari is croaking when it gets unexpected binary characters in its HTML stream instead of expected HTML content.

What source did you use to upload the files FROM?
    Did you upload them from a windows computer, or from your Mac?

One of the common causes appears to be including git or svn admin files such as ._filenames.php instead of just the real filenames.php file (I just picked filenames.php as an example ... this could be a problem with ANY or ALL files you've uploaded, esp if you're using some sort of version control system locally such as git or svn). Those administrative files contain binary data that has no business being on the live webserver, and in fact their presence there could cause the symptoms you report.

Another source of ._xxxxxx files is your Mac. Normally those files are hidden from all Mac OS apps, and will not get included in an FTP upload unless you specifically ask your FTP program to include them. Much like the .DS_Store files created by the Finder, which are also not needed on your webserver.

Options:
    - use a CLEAN set of files for your upload
    - tell your FTP program to ignore all ._ prefixed files/folders, or even all dot-prefixed files/folders other than .htaccess
    - after upload delete all dot-prefixed files/folders other than .htaccess
    - if you're using a Windows app to upload files prepared on a mac, be sure to NOT include all the ._ prefixed files.

Also, look in the server's public_html/cache folder (or wherever your Zen Cart cache folder is located) and see whether there are any myDebug-xxxxx.log files listed. See: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=82

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Excellent. Thanks Doc! Let me dig into this and get back to you.

GB

Plugin Contributions

Sorry. To answer your questions, I was pretty sure I picked up the download direct from Zen Cart. But I did upload it from my mac, so I'll root around for the issues you've identified.

GB

Plugin Contributions

Alright then. I'm not trying to turn this into a Support Chat line, but I'll give you an update on this one. I am a little better off then I was.

So I ended up deleting everything and starting over with a fresh install. However this time, I downloaded & unzipped the package directly to a USB stick on a windows laptop I had handy. Then plugged the USB into my Mac and uploaded to my host directly from the USB. And then of course went through the prescribed installation procedures.

Upon completion, I checked the demo store I loaded and it looks much better than it did the first round. Not problems there.

However the Admin is still giving me problems (albeit a different problem). The message I get now is as follows:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request

I've not yet investigated, but that's my update. Hopefully a success story will follow.

GB

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

"Internal Server Error" is a "500" error.
    Try deleting your /admin/.htaccess and see what happens. If it changes things, then your server's incompatible with the .htaccess protections set therein.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

OK. All is right with the world.

I went to my host error log and found 2 minor issues (missing 500.shtml file at the root, and a file permission issue). Both easily resolved.

From there, getting the Admin going was pretty simple as well. Rename the admin definitions & folder name.

So it sounds like the biggest problem was the acquisition of the initial Zen Cart zip directly to the Mac (and/or the upload from the Mac file system - not 100% sure on this point). I suspect that it may have something to do with the way Mac auto-extracts a zip file. The Windows 7 LT I used on round 2 required an explicit extract.

Anyway, I'm in business (so to speak). Many thanks to the Doctor for his insight.

GB