version 1.5 installed
    new installation

When selling locally I have to charge 3 additive taxes :
    1) Alabama state sales tax 4%
    2) Madison CO AL sales tax 0.5%
    3) City of Huntsville sales tax 3.5%

I do multiple combinations of the above such as :

1) Outside of Alabama 0%
    2) Inside Alabama, outside Madison Co 4% (AL)
    3) Inside Madison Co, outside Huntsville 4.5% (AL+MAD_CO)
    4) Inside Huntsville 8% (AL+MAD_CO+HSV)

How do I set this up? I see that TaxCloud and Local Sales Tax Mod aren't compatible with 1.5 and I haven't found any other solutiions ...

Thanks in advance,
    Paul

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Multiple Tax Rates

Hello, TaxCloud is compatible with v1.5 and it will take care of your needs.

Plugin Contributions

Ok, thanks for the response. I will give it a try

Plugin Contributions

Ok, I downloaded it, unzipped it, and uploaded it all to my store. The readme in step 3 says :

3. To configure the Taxcloud service, log into the Zen Cart administration application and navigate to
    Admin->Locations/Taxes/TaxCloud Settings. Enter your Taxcloud merchant information.

Unfortunately, Admin->Locations/Taxes does not have a TaxCloud Settings option. Any ideas?

Plugin Contributions

If the files are in the right place the menu item should just show up. Please contact me with your website information and I will assist you.

Plugin Contributions

You are correct. I installed it again ... painstakingly since I can't remote login to the server, I have to transfer files one by one with an ftp client. It shows up now. I am going to have a lot of questions so thanks for the offer of help

Plugin Contributions

I was able to install and configure TaxCloud successfully. But there seems to be a general issue.
    - Nexus State: California (7.25% base tax rate)
    - 2 locations configured in TaxCloud (San Leandro and Los Gatos)
    - TaxCloud calculates all the disctrict taxes for California correctly.
    e.g. Palo Alto: 8.25%, San Leandro 9% etc.
    However, according to tax law we are only liable for district taxes in our own districts (in our example Santa Clara County for Los Gatos and Alameda County for San Leandro).
    So for example :
    - Selling to San Leandro we have to charge 9%; all correct in TaxCloud.
    - Selling to Palo Alto we have to charge 7.25% (just the California base tax rate no district tax); Tax cloud returns 8.25% which is incorrect for our settings...
    For that matter we would overcharge taxes for each district outside our own districts.

Maybe I am missing something fundamental or is that a limitation of TaxCloud?

Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Marcello

Plugin Contributions

Although a seller with no presence in a district, but still present in California, is only required to collect the state sales tax, however the consumer still actually owes the additional district-level sales tax. Pursuant to California Board of Equalization publication #177 (http://boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub177.pdf):

If you are an Internet seller “engaged in business” (see publication 107, Do You Need a California Seller’s Permit?) in a district tax area, you must report and pay district taxes on sales made in that district. However, if you are not engaged in business in the district, you are not required to collect district tax and you must report and pay the statewide rate (8.25 percent as of the date of this publica##tion). Generally, if you are not engaged in business in a tax district area and you ship by common carrier into the district, your customer is liable for the district use tax. As a courtesy to your customer, you may choose to collect the district use tax from them. If you do, it should be shown on the customer’s invoice and you must report it on your return and pay it to us.

TaxCloud adheres to this BOE recommendation and collects ALL sales tax due throughout the State of California, if your TaxCloud account is configured to collect in California.

Quote Originally Posted by discsox View Post
    I was able to install and configure TaxCloud successfully. But there seems to be a general issue.
    - Nexus State: California (7.25% base tax rate)
    - 2 locations configured in TaxCloud (San Leandro and Los Gatos)
    - TaxCloud calculates all the disctrict taxes for California correctly.
    e.g. Palo Alto: 8.25%, San Leandro 9% etc.
    However, according to tax law we are only liable for district taxes in our own districts (in our example Santa Clara County for Los Gatos and Alameda County for San Leandro).
    So for example :
    - Selling to San Leandro we have to charge 9%; all correct in TaxCloud.
    - Selling to Palo Alto we have to charge 7.25% (just the California base tax rate no district tax); Tax cloud returns 8.25% which is incorrect for our settings...
    For that matter we would overcharge taxes for each district outside our own districts.

Maybe I am missing something fundamental or is that a limitation of TaxCloud?

Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Marcello