Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Moving to godaddy ...

Hi there,

It's been a while since I have installed ZC from scratch, my first time at the new 1.5 version.

I am moving a site to go daddy, I want to set up the site prior to resetting the name servers to their servers. Is this problematic with godaddy? Or should I do the domain move first?

Also, any problems installing the SSL cert AFTER setting up ZC?

The store is live and I don't want to move it until it is absolutely necessary.

Thanks.
    Happy to be a Zen Cart Monthly Donor! :)

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Installing on godaddy - setup ZC prior to name server change

First, WHY are you moving TO godaddy hosting?

That is a move you'll probably seriously regret.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Why?

I know I know it was cheap. But I sat up a site there a few months ago it works fine, never did a zc there...

Plugin Contributions

What kinds of problems do they have there? I have heard of a few other zc sites there...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

A forum search will show you tons of examples of very slow server performance, with the solution being moving to a reliable hosting service.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

eCommerce relies on appropriate server settings and the installation of proper server software if it is to run reliably and efficiently - and safely.

Unfortunately, many "cheap" hosts do not install proper server systems (to keep costs and maintenance low), and also tend to "stuff" as many sites as possible onto individual servers - stretching server resources to capacity, and often beyond that.

GoDaddy is such a host. If you are setting up a website that showcases your latest holiday pictures, then fine... GoDaddy might be OK... but they are not OK for anything more sophisticated than that.

The problems you will experience will be many, and varied... starting with a site that runs very slowly, is very prone to hacker attacks, is restricted in terms of extensibility, and which is ublikely to get very professional support when things go wrong.

It is therefore prudent and wise to host sophisticated sites with hosting companies that spend the money on setting up servers to cope with the demands of such sophistication.

In fact, you owe it to your (prospective) customers to offer a site that is fast, efficient, reliable and secure... You won't get that with cheap hosts.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Moving to godaddy ...

OK well he is signed up for three months so if we have any problems will definitely move it. I was in a pinch and needed to move off the old server ASAP which is nearing the end of its life cycle.

In the mean time, any problems installing ZC 1.5 prior re pointing the name server from the old server to the new site location? In other words just access via IP address?

Plugin Contributions

You can install it using the dedicated IP address.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    eCommerce relies on appropriate server settings and the installation of proper server software if it is to run reliably and efficiently - and safely.

Unfortunately, many "cheap" hosts do not install proper server systems (to keep costs and maintenance low), and also tend to "stuff" as many sites as possible onto individual servers - stretching server resources to capacity, and often beyond that.

GoDaddy is such a host. If you are setting up a website that showcases your latest holiday pictures, then fine... GoDaddy might be OK... but they are not OK for anything more sophisticated than that.

The problems you will experience will be many, and varied... starting with a site that runs very slowly, is very prone to hacker attacks, is restricted in terms of extensibility, and which is ublikely to get very professional support when things go wrong.

It is therefore prudent and wise to host sophisticated sites with hosting companies that spend the money on setting up servers to cope with the demands of such sophistication.

In fact, you owe it to your (prospective) customers to offer a site that is fast, efficient, reliable and secure... You won't get that with cheap hosts.
    I beg to differ I've just moved back to justhost as I got sick and tired of my pervious host leting me down and they cost me 4 time what I'm paying now and justhost have been great even installing my own ssl cert free. Then again maybe I've been lucky
    What ever your doing remember to KISS ( Keep It Simple Stupid )

Plugin Contributions

I'm currently using Justhost for my own sites and have sent several clients to them. Until recently, I would have agreed with you. They were excellent. They will now no longer be getting my business because they have refused to correct a PCI compliance issue on their servers. Specifically, they have port 3306 open to remote connections by default. I'm moving my eCommerce sites to another host.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast