Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: No Payment and Wrong Payment Method Error

What step am I missing?
    What's different between my test site and yours?
    Well, I've been testing using my Paypal account as it's quicker, but it's just the same problem.

Basically, I run through exactly as you did. If I have an account with my site, the payment goes through fine. If not, it acts just as though I'd chosen cheque/money order and nothing is taken through Paypal.

I am wracking my brains for ideas on how to diagnose it. Given that the Paypal payment isn't working, it suggests that something is wrong at that end, perhaps. However, I don't know how the communications between my cart and Paypal work - it might be that Paypal is still waiting for something from the site before going through with the payment. Any ideas on what code to examine or any other diagnostic methods would be really useful.

As for how this cart is different, it really is just superficial stuff. I've changed the CSS and switched most of the tables to divs. I've been through and edited some wording as well as shifting some of the buttons/columns about. I've not touched anything functional, nor installed any massive mods.

Plugin Contributions

This may have similarities with Olistead's problem and the solution I've used may help. In my case:

Paypal Express is the ONLY payment module live. The API works perfectly when the user uses their Paypal account to make the payment (i.e. they login to Paypal). The API returns the buyer detail, transaction codes etc without problem.

However, when the user opts to click the 'Don't have Paypal, No problem' option at Paypal and simply enters their credit card/address/email details direct - they get to review the transaction and confirm at which point they return to the seller site, are requested to accept terms & conditions and 'confirm' the transaction. So far so good.

However, the Zen cart shows the sale but instead of indicating Paypal as the payment - notes the transaction as Check/Money Order (in fact if you then remove that option it binds to another). The grey box that includes the Paypal API details (codes etc) is missing.

Although the customer has entered the credit card details - they don't get any confirmation from Paypal and as far as I can see they don't get debited either (but we are checking this). What is curious is that the shipping address shown in Zen Cart IS the one entered on the Paypal site so something is being transferred.

However, the transaction fails since we don't have a credit card processed by Paypal and the customer is very nervous about their credit card details (which they entered correctly in good faith).

The solution was to change a setting on the Paypal Express payment module in Zen Cart.

By default the option to for 'Express Checkout: Skip Payment Page' is checked to YES. When we checked this to NO - Paypal worked perfectly for customers whether registered with us or just paying by credit card at Paypal.

Hope this helps!

Plugin Contributions

Thank you, Peterdd, for that advice - it has made some difference, it seems.

Now, if I go through with an order, don't login and then pay with my Paypal account, when I return to my site, it actually says 'Paypal' as payment method. However, once I finalise it, the order is recorded as being paid by 'cheque/money order', and no money is taken from Paypal. The situation is exactly the same if I pay with a credit card and don't log into Paypal.

If I then remain logged in and try again, the payment goes through perfectly. The same if I log into a different account to start with, etc.

One, possibly key, note is that in the first circumstance (paying without logging into my site and paying in Paypal), Paypal says 'Continue' on its 'review your information' page. If one pays after having logged into my site, that same page has a button saying 'pay now' instead. Is this important?

Plugin Contributions

OK, pleased some progress? made.

I noticed when experimenting with this issue that if other payment options were available in the Payment Module this made a difference. Are any of the options green or amber (other than Paypal Express)? If so try removing them (you can always install them again later).

Did that make any difference?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by peterdd View Post
    OK, pleased some progress? made.

I noticed when experimenting with this issue that if other payment options were available in the Payment Module this made a difference. Are any of the options green or amber (other than Paypal Express)? If so try removing them (you can always install them again later).

Did that make any difference?
    I managed to break my cart again somehow, (same behavior as before, similar to what the other people describe in this thread.)

I took your suggestion and disabled all other payment types (everything red except paypal express, which is green). Now it all works again.

Only thing I did in between working and not working was test the Verified Paypal mod, then deleted it, and also installed google analytics, which I kept. Also rearranged some CSS, right alignment of the Paypal Express payment button, which is not done on the Sophy template.

I did a test transaction, worked fine. Then I removed the default "check out" button again as I detailed in my previous post. Tested with paypal account and without. Works fine.

Honestly though, sometimes I think the logic is a little bit messed up with this leaving the site and heading out to paypal, then coming back, etc etc... very confusing... imagine this could lead to lots of abandoned carts.

I understand that there are mods or updates to Zen in the works that would not require us to leave our site. That would sure be nice.... otherwise I think I will need to buck up and buy a real merchant account... if only to avoid confusion leading to abandoned carts.

Plugin Contributions

Well glad the suggestion worked here.

If that's the case there is a bug in the paypal express zen cart module - since it shouldn't behave in the way it does - but how do you draw this to the attention of the clever bods who write the code?

Your comment about abandoned carts is real. There needs to be a smoother customer experience so that when they commit to pay at Paypal - that's the job done. As it is they then have to confirm on the shop site too.

Anybody know the protocol to get the developers' attention?

regards

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The developers are watching.

However, until the problem can be consistently reproduced ... ie: specific patterns identified ... there can be no solution.

So far I haven't been able to recreate what you describe.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Peterdd - it looks as though it was false progress. All that happens when I disable all methods is that the cart says 'Paypal' as the method, presumably because there simply aren't any other options! Nonetheless, it still doesn't take any money. Would you be kind enough to tell me what you have the other settings set as?

Dr. Byte, I am not sure what to say. One question, though: when you test a payment without a Zencart login, after you click 'review payment' what does the next button say? 'Continue' or 'Pay Now'? Mine says continue when there's no account and pay now when there is (which works). Is this normal?

Plugin Contributions

Actually, I don't think it is choosing the payment method arbitrarily. When it does say Paypal (ie., when I switch the other methods off) the order status in the admin is set to processing. Otherwise, it is pending, which is what it would be when unpaid. Curious.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by olistead View Post
    when you test a payment without a Zencart login, after you click 'review payment' what does the next button say? 'Continue' or 'Pay Now'? Mine says continue when there's no account and pay now when there is (which works). Is this normal?
    That is normal.

When using Express Checkout going through normal checkout process, the customer goes to PayPal before completing the regular checkout. Thus, the button at PayPal's site will say "Continue", because the customer is coming back to your site to complete payment.

When going through regular checkout and selecting "PayPal" as the payment choice, the customer doesn't go to the PayPal site until they click "Confirm" on your store. In this case, the PayPal site is the last step in the process ... thus, the button reads "Pay Now".

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast