Plugin Contributions

Default Additional customer details? Add county field?

Howdy.

Since our comptroller is still thinking we may need to collect Texas local tax, it appears that I may need to collect county info. This brings up a lot of questions for me.
    1. I don't see a "county" field as a standard configurable customer detail option in Admin. I see that there is a user-created module for adding additional customer fields, but it worries me as it hasn't been updated in about a year, not to mention that it's covered with warnings. Anyone know of a module that can do this, or am I looking at custom code? Unless I have instructions, I'm not competent to add this PHP code to do this.
    2. If I'm looking at custom code, it's could be complicated. I've got to
      1. Create a county table for Texas
      2. Make sure it can be zone configurable for locations and taxes
      3. If possible, make the County field appear and be required only for Texas
      4. Add it to all customer billing templates
      5. what else am I forgetting?
    I was wondering if anyone has been down a similar road before and has guidance to offer.

(I'm asking for clarification from our comptroller, maybe she just needs this info for reporting, and we will pay the customer's local tax. That would simplify matters to number 1. above.)

---Diana

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Additional customer details? Add county field?

Others have posted and addressed this for TX -

I am sure that county and postal zip are not identical so you most likely can not use zip for this.

Additionally, you will have to create/setup zones/sub-zones for counties and/or maybe just for tax rates with countites added

But then need some method to determine which the buyer is in or the item(s) are being shipped to.

Need to determine if it is the billing address or the ship to address that tax is levied
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten