Thread: uploading site

Plugin Contributions

Default uploading site

Ive installed my site locally but Im having some problems getting it online.

If I use my host’s simple script automatic install, and then upload my files by FTP, overriding everything except both the configure.php files, should that work fine? The configure.php files seem to contain the name, location and the username and password for the database. Do any other file have data like this that I shouldn't override? I dont want to change the wrong files as my local site has a different named database and a weak password.

My host wont let me upload my own database so I have to use the one made with the automatic install, then empty it and import my database. Will all my settings in the admin be saved? I dont mind importing my database like this as my local server doest seem to like me using complicated passwords where as hosting company has good password generator that creates very strong passwords.

thanks
    james

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: uploading site

My host wont let me upload my own database so I have to use the one made with the automatic install, then empty it and import my database.
    I would seriously think about your hosting - one that does not support and assist you with the things you need to do will only make things difficult now and in the future
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Its blue host who are recommended by this site so I probably can. Ive had some issus with it though and their phone line is awful.

I know its not rocket science but rather than risk doing something wrong during the installation I was quite keen to use there 'simple scripts' automatic installation.

I also thought it was best to use their database as my local site on my computer seems to have a problem specifying a strong password during the installation, so i set the username and password to 'root', which I obviously cant use when the site goes live.

Plugin Contributions

I was quite keen to use there 'simple scripts' automatic installation.
    The recommended and preferred method is to do a manual install
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

OK, will do.

If I cant get my local install to use a strong password, how can I change the usernames and passwords for the admin, and for the database, once my site is online?

Also, once its uploaded, if I make file changes locally and upload via FTP, are their any file that I dont want to override? At the moment the only file that are not overridden are the two configure.php file so im guessing they are the only ones set to read only.

thanks
    james

Plugin Contributions

See these tutorial/FAQ's that you should be searching for these basic issues

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=99
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=100
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=107

Basically, your new DB will have it's own name, user, and pass at the host
    No need to have your local pass strong as this is not passed with the DB backup
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten