Plugin Contributions

Default Is there any difference between a Virtual product and a Downloadable product?

Is there any difference between a Virtual product and a Downloadable product?

So far, from reading lots of documentation, I understand that a Virtual product and a Downloadable product are essentially the same thing. But recent difficulties in configuring my free shipping module suggest that my understanding may be incorrect.

If a Virtual product is not the same as a Downloadable product, could you please explain what "Virtual product" mean?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is there any difference between a Virtual product and a Downloadable product?

A Virtual Product is more like a Service or Gift Certificate where nothing Physical changes hands in any manner ...

A Download, while not requiring shipping, still is semi-physical as there is the Download ...

As a rule, Downloads should always be set up as:
    Product is Virtual No, Shipping Address Required
    Product is Always Free Shipping No, Normal Shipping Rules

The Download "knows" there is no shipping by virtue of its attribute with the filename attached ...

Marking it incorrectly, will cause shipping issues on calculations ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is there any difference between a Virtual product and a Downloadable product?

Linda, belated thanks for your answer. It it right to the point and much appreciated.

What I don't understand now is why there are only 5 product types, one of which is "Product - Music", when the most popular of all "Product - Download" isn't there?

A Downloadable product is very much like a Music product, but I suspect that for a downloadable product I should't select "Product - Music" but rather "Product - General" as its type. Am I correct?

Is there a way for me to add a 6th product type ("Product - Downloadable Software")? Or is it simply not necessary?

Thanks again for alleviating my confusion.

Plugin Contributions

A Download doesn't require anything different from the Product General other than adding a filename to the Attribute ...

At some point it would be nice to write a specific Product Type for Downloads for the sake of managing when you see attributes, ie. radio buttons, vs just the text to them and make them easily seen but not look selectable ...

This, however, might be better managed in the attributes themselves ...

Music has a lot more fields and tables than a Product General ... so it definitely is its own Product Type ...

Product Free Shipping was made to show how an identical copy of Product General can function with permanent changes to the default data entry and catalog display ... how ever it uses the identical tables and fields ...

Thanks for the suggestion ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!