Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Setting up California Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by j_boo View Post
    Actually no, J_boo.. If you continue your research around BOE, you'll find, as I did, that they actual provide CSV files with the data already in a configurable format, so that you don't have to manually type all of that into a usable format. I found the files, compiled them with the USPS zipcodes, then found out that the zipcodes had no value, because they wander across county lines ??

I also just read a couple of tutorials in ZC that lead me to believe that ZC only works with one tax rate, as DWells explained above. All of us hire carriers to take our packages to our customers. Our transaction is in the county and/or city that we have our warehouse or store within ? Correct ?

Unless someone wants to write a couple of lines to grab the 'ENTRY_SUBURB' data out of the 'ZEN_ADDRESS_BOOK' to trigger the tax rates to work with individual county tax rates, I'm not going to fight it any more. Until the Tax man comes out and says that I need to collect taxes based on each county that I ship to, I will be satisfied with my single rate.

The attachments are by request for Cheryl11 and anyone else who may find value to them.

In the combination file, there are 1546 Cities listed for California, with their associated counties, the zipcodes used for each location, including multiple zips for the larger metro areas and the tax rates for each and all. ( NOTE: It turns out this file is too big to attachment, send me a direct email and I will return it to you : Toby at BetterThanNaked dot net )

There are 58 county only tax rates in their seperate file.

There are 93 cities listed in their seperate file, which have the higher tax rates, than the county they reside in. I think this is where the mod from LadyHLG "Local_Sales_Tax" may work best ? Upcharge what you can and eat the rest ? We all need writeoffs anyway.

I hope I confused none, I hope it helps some ?

-Toby
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Twbeebe; 25 Oct 2008 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Attachment didn't stick ??

Plugin Contributions

Sales tax in CA doesn't compute correctly for certain amounts - it's almost always off by a few pennies because tax is being computed on each item separately. This is completely wrong. It should be computed on total items. Why has this not been addressed and how do I change it?

Plugin Contributions

I emailed the BOE and they said if I ship from my store and no place else, I can just charge the flat state tax of 7.25%. Sounds good to me!

They also said I'll need to tax the handling fees. Has anyone figured out how to add a handling charge & tax it without taxing the shipping? Ideally it should be a separate line item on the invoice.

Product Price
    Handling Fees
    Tax
    Shipping
    Total

I can't see how to do this in ZC tho.

Plugin Contributions

Tweebe,

Your list only has one tax rate per county. How can you use this when many counties have more than one tax rate?

Have you gotten your CA taxes to work yet? Have you tried the Local Tax Mod? I'm pulling my hair out.

So frustrated.
    This is my understanding of how the taxes should be entered.
    1) enter zones like Calif - Los Angeles for EACH COUNTY
    2) Define zones for EACH COUNTY
    3) enter EVERY tax rate for EACH COUNTY
    4) hook the Definition to the Zone for EACH COUNTY
    5) Enter the Cities for EACH COUNTY and EACH TAX RATE. So for Los Angeles County where you have 3 tax rates you have to do 3 City List entries.??
    This is so messed up!

Plugin Contributions

Has there been a resolution to this issue of tax on handling but not on shipping?

Seems to me that it complicates setup but in the end, may be a necessary evil given that these are separate items and treated differently in each taxing area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12