Plugin Contributions

Default Installation without XAMPP (couldn't get it work)

Hi guys

I have got MySql 5, Apache 2.0.59 and PHP 5.2.2 installed on my machine. I have just installed Mercury mail server and tried to do a couple of tests as instructed in "e-start your web store with zen cart". When I type www.example.com into my web browser, I see Apache welcome screen instead of "example web page". I added all necessary lines into the "hosts" file. Also changed the "ServerName Localhost" to "ServerName www.example.com" in httpd.conf.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have to do more changes just because I didn't use XAMPP to install all the stuff and let it do all the messy configuration work itself?

Your help appreciated

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Installation without XAMPP (couldn't get it work)

Since you are not using XAMPP but installed Apache separately, your start page will be different. This explains why you see the Apache welcome page instead of the XAMPP welcome screen.

As you have installed the different components (i.e. PHP, Apache, MySQL) separately, take note that you will most likely need to install the phpMyAdmin application as well if you want a web interface to manage your database.

IMHO, if you are not familiar with server software installations/configurations, it would be better to go with a packaged solution (e.g. WAMP, XAMPP, MAMP) when starting off. This route saves time as it minimizes configuration errors.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store