Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default Templates and/or Custom Templates

I am in need of help! I have uploaded zen-cart, installed it, changed permissions etc....However I am clueless as where to go to modify, customize, change my template!! I am very familiar with web design and am capable of designing my own logos and graphics, but this is greek to me. I know nothing about PHP.

I really don't want to have someone else do this as I need to familiarize myself with the content and how to accomplish these tasks.

Can you somehow download the template and modify it in dreamweaver, or will this mess up the PHP side. I have tried following the tutorials but it is difficult to find the information you need.

I have found a few templates which I do like, Basicly if someone could guide me where to upload the new templates to and where the CSS stylesheets are to modify

Zen Cart v1.3.8
    Webserver = Apache
    MySQL Version = 5.0.45-log
    PHP Version = 5.2.6

Thanks A mint!

VaL

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Templates and/or Custom Templates

Don't bother with anything like DreamWeaver. You need a good basic editor like Notepad++ or Crimson Editor (both are free downloads) to edit the files.

Anywhere you see a /classic folder, you can create a folder for your own custom template.

This list is a bit outdated, but it'll give you an idea of where to start. Change YOUR_TEMPLATE to any name you like.

To create a very basic custom template (you can build from there), you need:
    • includes/languages/YOUR_TEMPLATE/english.php
    • includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/index.php
    • includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/meta_tags.php
    • includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/header.php (to change the logo)
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/template_info.php
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/tpl_header.php
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/tpl_footer.php
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/images/logo.gif
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/css/stylesheet.css

Anywhere you see a /classic/ folder, you can create a folder for your custom template. You can copy the necessary files from either the /classic/ folder, the /template_default/ folder or the parent folder.

Edit includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/template_info.php to give your template identifying information so you'll recognize it in the admin under tools->template selection.

You might also want to check out the free templates available at http://(sorry, site offline)/. If you find anything close to the look you want, you can always use it as a guide and modify it as you like.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Templates and/or Custom Templates

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?category=4

Start with the Tutorials and FAQ's in the knowledgebase.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.