Plugin Contributions

Default Adding the quantity and weight per case...

I need some help adding quantity per case. Here is a quick break down of what I am trying to accomplish.

Product A comes packed in a case of 48 pieces and weighs 17 lbs. They must purchase a minimum of 144 (3 cases) but can order any quantity over that, and it does not have to be in units of 48. For example, they could order 145, which means they would have 3 boxes at 17 lbs each and 1 box at 1 lb. I need to be able to list the weight so that the UPS shipping estimator gives them the correct breakdown in price. Currently the UPS estimator has a max weight value per box of 50 lbs, which means anything under 50 lbs gets listed as 1 box, but this is incorrect. Is there a field in the product or inventory section that I can note how many pieces are in a box so that the shipping estimates will come up accurate?

Any help would be appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Adding the quantity and weight per case...

That does not compute for me??

48 pieces and weighs 17 lbs

1 box at 1 lb
    If 48 weigh 17lbs them 1 should weigh 0.36lb(rounded up)
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Regardless of the math, what if you made price and weight per item, Set a min quantity of 144, and note the number of items per case in the item description?
    History does not repeat itself but it [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT]does rhyme - Mark Twain

Plugin Contributions

Sorry Kobra, I should have made that a little more clear. You are right, 1 piece would only weigh about .36 lbs, I am assuming UPS would round it up to 1 lb. In any case, what I need UPS to realize is how many pieces are in each box and give me shipping estimates based on the correct amount of packages and weight per package.

Igofresh, I don't think that will workout correctly, the problems isn't the pricing of the product, it's how UPS is determining how many boxes are in someones order. It makes a big difference in the price of shipping when it is 1 box or 2 boxes, even if the total weight is the same.

Does anyone know if any of the other UPS shipping modules have this capability, or if anyone has modified the stock UPS module to do this? I am just using the stock UPS module, it seems good for some cases, just not for mine.

Plugin Contributions

I found this in another thread, this gets me 1 step closer.. sort of. I am not a coder, but I will mess around with things if I am pointed in the right direction.

This was added to the ups.php file:
    Code:
    $total_weight = $shipping_weight * $shipping_num_boxes;
    $shipping_num_boxes = $_SESSION['cart']->count_contents();
    $shipping_weight = $total_weight / $shipping_num_boxes;
    Just after this line of code:
    Code:
    global $_POST, $order, $shipping_weight, $shipping_num_boxes;
    The result is it treats each unit as a single box. What I am assuming needs to be added in there some where is a quantity per case field into the database. So something like:
    Code:
    $shipping_num_boxes = $_SESSION['cart']->count_contents / $item_quantity();
    could be used to determine the number of items that make up a case. But! I think this will do the entire cart, and all products are not packed equally. So is this in the right direction? Instead of calculating the whole shopping cart, can we tell it to do the individual items in the cart? Any assistance from you code gurus?

Plugin Contributions

As I do not know the specifics of all your items, trying to address just this one might be futile

What happens if an order contains a case of this and other items?

Most just select a basis - say weight - - then attempt to insure that shipping will be covered with a bit excess in most cases and some will be negative
    On the average you should be a bit positive

If you want to look try Google for ZenCart advanced shipper
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

That is frustrating . The code I had posted was able to modify how the shipping quote was turning out, I think I just need someone with more expertise in PHP than I have. It would seem that if you have the information, quantity per case and weight per case, then the proper number of cases you are shipping should be able to be represented.

I have contacted the people with the Advanced Shipper module to see if their module works this way. But, until I hear otherwise, I will plea to the PHP gods and godesses of these forums for advice and or assistance.

What I have done, is added a products_per_case field to the products table in the database, added the field in the collect_info.php and preview_info.php files in the back end. (although, for some reason when I enter the number in when adding/editing a product, it doesn't stick in the database. I can change it in the database and it will show in the field when editing the product, but won't update when I change it in the editing process.)

So now there should be a way to calculate the correct number and weight of each box. We have the quantity per case, the weight per piece, and the total amount ordered. With this info, it can be determined how many boxes and how much each box weighs, I just don't know how to tell it what to do with all the info.