Plugin Contributions

Default Can I use my prostores product url as my zc product url?

Hello! I'm stuck again and I'm hoping to get some help.

I have a prostores site: www.momandbabyboutique.com

I'm tired of prostores so I want to switch to zencart. I have been working on my zc site for about a month now: www.momandbabyboutique.ca/servlet

I have good google page rank with my current prostores site. I can't start from scratch so I *need* to be able to use the same url for my zen cart site. I was under the understanding that I could do this with zc. I can't figure out how to do this.

My question: Can I use my current website's product urls as my zc product url? If so - how?

I don't even want to continue working on my zencart site if I can't do this. It has taken me 3 years to build this ranking - I'll stick with prostores not to loose my google page rank.

Help!

Erin

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can I use my prostores product url as my zc product url?

Quote Originally Posted by erinl View Post
    My question: Can I use my current website's product urls as my zc product url? If so - how? Erin
    Administrative Contact:
    XXX, Erin [email protected]
    The Women's Wellness Centre
    If this is you - you own the domain name and you can do whatever would like. Right now you have a ProStores template (with the assoicated monthly fees!) instead of ZenCart.

Tina

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by erinl View Post
    Hello! I'm stuck again and I'm hoping to get some help.

I have a prostores site: www.momandbabyboutique.com

I'm tired of prostores so I want to switch to zencart. I have been working on my zc site for about a month now: www.momandbabyboutique.ca/servlet

I have good google page rank with my current prostores site. I can't start from scratch so I *need* to be able to use the same url for my zen cart site. I was under the understanding that I could do this with zc. I can't figure out how to do this.

My question: Can I use my current website's product urls as my zc product url? If so - how?

I don't even want to continue working on my zencart site if I can't do this. It has taken me 3 years to build this ranking - I'll stick with prostores not to loose my google page rank.

Help!

Erin

If I understand your question correctly Erin; you might consider add-on's like this one http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1013
    I am not sure if it will do exactly what you are after, but it might.

Your other option to keep Google Page Rank would be to create a .htaccess file that redirects your current stores pages to the new pages (with a 301 redirect) You could use your favorite search engine and search for "htaccess redirects" for instructions. This link:
    http://www.webconfs.com/how-to-redirect-a-webpage.php
    Provides a rough idea of how to do it correctly.

Hope this answers your questions... Best of luck to you Erin in your conversion!

F.Y.I. Zen Cart can do just about anything you want it to... all you have to do is rewrite parts of the code (or find someone who can do it for you).

Plugin Contributions

You are hosted by them? I don't think they'll like having a Zen Cart instead of your ProStore there ... Have you got your Zen Cart set up on a different host?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by charmedbytina2 View Post
    If this is you - you own the domain name and you can do whatever would like. Right now you have a ProStores template (with the assoicated monthly fees!) instead of ZenCart.

Tina
    Hi Tina,

That's me!

I'm not sure what you mean by this post. I'm a little confused.

I know that I own the domain and I certainly know about the monthly fees! LOL which is why I'm interested in zencart.

I don't want to use prostores any more and I would like to use zen cart. I want my zen cart product urls to be the same as my current prostore urls so that I don't loose my page rank.

can you elaborate?

Thanks Erin

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    You are hosted by them? I don't think they'll like having a Zen Cart instead of your ProStore there ... Have you got your Zen Cart set up on a different host?
    Hi Kim,

You're right they are not a hosting company. I will have momandbabyboutique.com moved to a different host and then upload my zencart site. I'm building and testing on momandbabyboutique.ca because I don't have access to my data base with prostores. I will have momandbabyboutique.ca forward to momandbabyboutique.com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DWells View Post
    If I understand your question correctly Erin; you might consider add-on's like this one http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1013
    I am not sure if it will do exactly what you are after, but it might.

Your other option to keep Google Page Rank would be to create a .htaccess file that redirects your current stores pages to the new pages (with a 301 redirect) You could use your favorite search engine and search for "htaccess redirects" for instructions. This link:
    http://www.webconfs.com/how-to-redirect-a-webpage.php
    Provides a rough idea of how to do it correctly.

Hope this answers your questions... Best of luck to you Erin in your conversion!

F.Y.I. Zen Cart can do just about anything you want it to... all you have to do is rewrite parts of the code (or find someone who can do it for you).
    Thanks - The simple SEO isn't quite what I'm looking for. I need to be able to specify exacting what my url is.

The redirects is an interesting idea. I want to kill the prostores site (die prostore fees! LOL) so the redirects would work either.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the good luck with the conversion. I'm worried that I'm about to stop if I can't get this url figured out.

Plugin Contributions

You can't change the Zen Cart URLs to be exactly the same as your old ones. I would suggest you do 301 permanent rediricts *after* you get your Zen Cart store set up and ready to go live.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.