Plugin Contributions

Default Apache 2.0 -- SoftException in Application.cpp:544: Directory is writeable by group

Linux; Zen Cart v1.3.8a; Apache v2.0.63; PHP v5.2.5; MySQL v5.0.51a

I have been trying to install Zen Cart on a subdomain i.e www.subdomain.domain.com using the new installation instructions. I had uploaded the entire Zen Cart directory to /public_html/subdomain/zencart and tried to browse to the same location using the following different URL's :

www.subdomain.domain.com/zencart
    www.domain.com/subdomain/zencart

www.subdomain.domain.com/zencart/zc_install
    www.domain.com/subdomain/zencart/zc_install

with exactly the same results:

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The error logs on the cpanel show the following message:

File does not exist: /home/username/public_html/500.shtml
    [Mon Jul 07 07:24:21 2008] [error] [client -.-.-.-] SoftException in Application.cpp:544: Directory "/home/username/public_html/subdomain" is writeable by group

I have tried deleting all Zen Cart files and uploading them again and also htaccess file.

Any other possible solutions to resolve this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Apache 2.0 -- SoftException in Application.cpp:544: Directory is writeable by gro

Have you tried Googling the error?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Apache 2.0 -- SoftException in Application.cpp:544: Directory is writeable by gro

Yes! No luck there so far - still trying though.

Plugin Contributions

Default Internal Server error

After a frustrating bout of manual installation I have tried installing Zen Cart through Fantastico. which apparently configures it correctly or so it claims, but I still get the same to rrors on my error log:

[Mon Jul 07 15:21:12 2008] [error] [client ---.---.---.--] File does not exist: /home/username/public_html/subdomain/500.shtml
    [Mon Jul 07 15:21:12 2008] [error] [client ---.---.---.--] SoftException in Application.cpp:544: Directory "/home/username/public_html/subdomain" is writeable by group

I am running on the following:

Linux; Zen Cart v1.3.8a; Apache v2.0.63; PHP v5.2.5; MySQL v5.0.51a

I have been trying to install Zen Cart on a subdomain i.e www.subdomain.domain.com using the new installation instructions and using FileZilla; using fantastico through the host.

I have also tried renaming and deleting the htaccess file......................

Plugin Contributions

Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm having the same problem.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kshah View Post
    SoftException in Application.cpp:544: Directory "/home/username/public_html/subdomain" is writeable by group
    As the message says, the specified foldername has been made writable by group.
    That suggests that your server's apache configuration doesn't allow you to make folders writable by group.
    ie: you've got the wrong permissions set on one or more folders.

Check with your hosting company to find out what permissions you're allowed to set.

The Zen Cart documentation says to make certain folders writable. It "suggests" that "777" be the permissions-mask, but that's only a suggestion, since some servers prohibit such a high level. You may find that your server allows only a max of 755.

Your hosting company will know best. Talk to them.

Related FAQs:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=148
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=7
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=9

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Thank you DrByte.
    I am installing 1.3.8a on Hostgator and had to change permissions to 755 on .../store/ and its subdirectories and files for my install to start.

Again thank you.

FD