Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrade 1.2.7 to 1.3.8

Hello!
    Well, I need to upgrade my software to the new version. I have been reading all kinds of problems and complications with that from here. It seems that one of my main problems will be the database, and since I have over 8000 items I don't relish the thought. I have Fantastico on my server and multiple domains I can use. I was wondering if it is possible to do a fresh install on a different domain, solve the database problems and then do a backup of it to do a restore on the one in use? Or do an fresh install on the current domain in a new directory (zencart2) and once all the bugs are out would it be possible to just rename the directory to the old one (zencart)? Pretty sure it isn't possible for the rename, as it sounds too easy. I just dodn't want to give up the old directory as we have great position in the search engines.

Thanks and sorry for the long post,

Rod
    Rod

Visit my Zen Site: Hat n' Patch

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrade 1.2.7 to 1.3.8

Or do an fresh install on the current domain in a new directory (zencart2) and once all the bugs are out would it be possible to just rename the directory to the old one (zencart)? Pretty sure it isn't possible for the rename, as it sounds too easy.
    It can be exactly that easy - - only add that you must edit your 2 configure.php files to change the location from /zencart2??? to /zencart
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Kobra,
    Thanks for the reply! Sounds pretty easy and I have a bit of knowledge with ZenCart so maybe I will give it a go! So as for the database, is there going to be a simple way to import/convert it from 1.2.7 to 1.3.8? or would it have to be totally rebuilt? Thanks so much for you time,

Rod
    Rod

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

There should be no problems if you follow the upgrade procedure. It's a good idea to make full backups of the site and dbase first.

After making full backups, what I have done in the past, using C-panel and phpMyAdmin, is:-

Create a COPY of the site into a new sub directory (done in C-panel, takes a few minutes).

Create a COPY of the dbase - giving it a different name - in phpMyAdmin. (takes a minute or two).

Open the two configure.php files in the copied version and point them to the new sub-dir and the new dbase as is appropriate.

Run the fix cache key file (see elsewhere on the forum and the downloads for the fix cache key).

Then, you can do a "trial" upgrade on this copy of your store - so if it goes pear-shaped, you haven't lost your original installation.

Plugin Contributions

AWESOME! I think I can do that! Will work on it over the next few days and let you know how I do!

THANKS SO MUCH!!

Rod

Rod