Plugin Contributions

Default Create account welcome email

I have been trying to add some instructions to my welcome email.

The file I am editing is includes/languages/english/my template/create_account.php

Everytime I make a change and upload the file, the create account page on my site is blank, broken.

The current welcome email does not show any line breaks, everything just runs on and on. I don't know php but I think I have worked out that . "\n\n" . should mean a new line. The code is there but it's not making new lines.

I did not write any of the code, it came from the default welcome email. If I looke at a preview of the welcome email in Admin, the line breaks are there but they are not there when I get a copy of the welcome email.

I know when I edit the create_account.php file I must be making an error somewhere for the page to go blank but I can't find the error.

Can anybody please help me?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Create account welcome email

Please post the text you are trying to insert.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Please post the text you are trying to insert.
    It just simply instructions on how to use their accouts because I am constantly getting emails asking me how to find the files they have paid for.

The text and code I using is below;

'<strong>Using your Account</strong> - If you do not download your order as soon as the transaction was completed, you can download it from your account by following the instructions below.' . "\n\n" . '<li><strong>Step One</strong> - Login to the web site.' . "\n\n" . '<li><strong>Step Two</strong> - Click on the My Account Link.' . "\n\n" . '<li><strong>Step Three</strong> - On this page you will see a list of your previous orders. Your latest order will be at the top of this list. Click the View button.' . "\n\n" . '<li><strong>Step Four</strong> - On this page you will see a Download button.' . "\n\n" . '<li><strong>Lost Password</strong> - If you forget your password click on the link Forgot your password? If you haven't already entered your email address, please do so. A new password will be sent to the email address you have on record. After the new password has been sent to you, you can login to your account and change the new password to one you would prefer to use.' . "\n\n" .
    'Please keep this email for future reference.' . "\n\n");

Plugin Contributions

Cardinal rule in using php defines - any apostrophes must be escaped.

Find the word haven't (and anything else that is contracted) and put a backslash in front of the apostrophe. - haven\'t
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Cardinal rule in using php defines - any apostrophes must be escaped.

Find the word haven't (and anything else that is contracted) and put a backslash in front of the apostrophe. - haven\'t
    That fixed it for me. Thank you very much!

Plugin Contributions

I just created a fake new account. The text I wanted is now in the welcome email but there are no line breaks or spaces where paragraphs should be. My welcome email displays like I have it below.

Dear Dee

I wish to welcome you to....

With your account, you can now take part in the various services I have to offer you. Some of these services include: Permanent Cart - Any products added to your online cart remain there until you remove them, or check them out. Order History - View your history of purchases that you have made with me. Products Reviews - Share your opinions on the charts you have stitched with other customers. By writing a review of any chart you have stitched, you not only assist other customers, it helps me by letting me know if you are happy with your stitched work. Using your Account - If you do not download your order as soon as the transaction was completed, you can download it from your account by following the instructions below. Step One - Login to the web site. Step Two - Click on the My Account Link. Step Three - On this page you will see a list of your previous orders. Your latest order will be at the top of this list. Click the View button. Step Four - On this page you will see a Download button. Lost Password - If you forget your password click on the link Forgot your password? If you haven't already entered your email address, please do so. A new password will be sent to the email address you have on record. After the new password has been sent to you, you can login to your account and change the new password to one you would prefer to use. Please keep this email for future reference.

If you need help or have questions, please email me

I don't understand why my paragraphs breaks are not working.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you're attempting to style this as an HTML email, why don't you use <br /> tags instead of carriage returns?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    If you're attempting to style this as an HTML email, why don't you use <br /> tags instead of carriage returns?
    I have tried using <br /> and also <p></p> when I use either I get a blank page again.

I'll keep trying.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

A blank page suggests a PHP error, akin to what Kim had mentioned earlier.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    A blank page suggests a PHP error, akin to what Kim had mentioned earlier.
    I got it to work. I didn't realise the <br /> had to go aft the ' and not before it.

Thank you all for your help it is appreciated!