Plugin Contributions

Default Minimum Shipping Weight

I know a few people have looked for this so thought I'd just share a small hack / solution.

I have a UK based site where the shipping is handled by three Royal Mail modules up to 2Kg (Standard delivery, Signed for and Special Delivery). Orders over 2Kg are to be sent via courier. However we only wanted to have Royal Mail showing under 2Kg, and the courier over 2Kg.

Disabling the Royal Mail modules over 2Kg is simple, in the shipping table the last rate is 2:x.xx so the module automatically disables over that value.

For the courier shipping there is one price so I am using the Flat rate module that is supplied in a standard installation. However I needed to add something to disable the module under a fixed shipping rate. To do this is fairly straight forward.

Open the file: /includes/modules/shipping/flat.php
    Save a backup of this file!! Don't skip this step.

Look for the lines (around line 27):
    function flat() {
    global $order, $db;
    Edit them to look like this, add the bold text:
    function flat() {
    global $order, $db, $total_weight;
    Find the following lines (around line 38):
    // disable only when entire cart is free shipping
    if (zen_get_shipping_enabled($this->code)) {
    $this->enabled = ((MODULE_SHIPPING_FLAT_STATUS == 'True') ? true : false);
    }
    After this add the following bold text.
    // disable only when entire cart is free shipping
    if (zen_get_shipping_enabled($this->code)) {
    $this->enabled = ((MODULE_SHIPPING_FLAT_STATUS == 'True') ? true : false);
    }

// Minimum Shipping Weight: If the shipping weight less then 2Kg disable the module
    if ($total_weight < 2)
    $this->enabled = false;
    In my example here the minimum shipping weight is 2Kg, so I am checking if the total_weight variable is less then 2, change this value to what you need.

I'll try to sort this out as a new shipping module that can be installed and the min weight controlled through the Admin pages.

The same instructions above work for the Table module too.

Mat

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Minimum Shipping Weight

Great stuff, Mat !

However, should:-

PHP Code:
    // Minimum Shipping Weight: If the shipping weight less then 2Kg disable the module
    if ($total_weight 2)
    $this->enabled false
    Rather be:-

PHP Code:
    // Minimum Shipping Weight: If the shipping weight less then 2Kg disable the module
    if ($total_weight 2) {
    $this->enabled false;

You can, of course, do the same for MAXIMIM weight by changing the > symbol for < and adjusting your values accordingly.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

There is a small "bug" with this "hack"...

If you set TARE settings (ADMIN>>>SHIPPING/PACKAGING>>>small / large added % or weight) to anything other than ZERO, the following happens...

If the total net weight is LESS than 2kg (TARE), but the combined product + packaging weight is MORE than 2kg (GROSS), then the shipping cost gets calculated as 0.00.

This means that your customer will not be charged for shipping.

I tested this on a product weighing 1.85kg.

With packaging factored in, the shipping weight came to 2.05kg.

The shipping cost then displayed as £0.00

In order for it to work, you have to disable (set to zero), the TARE settings as described above.

Plugin Contributions

I have something similar to this working with UPS and Table rates. If a shipment total weight is over 499lbs, the customer is presented the options in the table rates. If it's under they get UPS (client's choice not mine).
    I've tried playing with the Tare settings and I'm not seeing any errors at all.

Could it be that the errors you're seeing have something to do with the Royal Mail Mod? I know I made changes to both my /includes/modules/shipping/MYTEMPLATE/table.php and /includes/modules/shipping/MYTEMPLATE/ups.php files.

Not being from the UK, the Royal Mail mod isn't one I've ever tried...just thought I'd mention this.

~KMK

Plugin Contributions

Hello,
    Im planning to make a shipping like this:

For every 1 kg, the shipping cost would be $5. However, if the total weight is less than 1 kg, the $5 is still applied. Meaning that, $5 is the minimum shipping charge.

I can see that sumthing can be done here:

Code:
    // Minimum Shipping Weight: If the shipping weight less then 2Kg disable the module 
    if ($total_weight < 2) 
    $this->enabled = false;
    but i dont know the variables. perhaps the pseudo is like this:
    Code:
    if total item weight < 1kg 
      the shipping cost for 1 kg of total weight applies
    Any ideas?

Plugin Contributions

EDIT:

Actually, in perweightunit.php, at

Code:
    	$this->quotes = array('id' => $this->code,
                              'module' => MODULE_SHIPPING_PERWEIGHTUNIT_TEXT_TITLE,
                              'methods' => array(array('id' => $this->code,
                                                       'title' => MODULE_SHIPPING_PERWEIGHTUNIT_TEXT_WAY,
                                                       'cost' => (MODULE_SHIPPING_PERWEIGHTUNIT_COST * $total_weight_units)
                                                                  + MODULE_SHIPPING_PERWEIGHTUNIT_HANDLING)));
    Ive changed it to

Code:
    	if ($total_weight_units < 1) {
    	}	else {
                                                       'cost' => (MODULE_SHIPPING_PERWEIGHTUNIT_COST * 1)
        }
    However, it loaded as a blank white page

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks

Plugin Contributions

OK guys, after fiddling with the codes, I finally got it.

So, anyone who needs to have the funtion required on ur ZC like me, here are the codes:

At the includes/modules/shipping/perweightunit.php, at around line 93, you will find this:

Code:
      function quote($method = '') {
        global $order, $shipping_weight;

$total_weight_units = $shipping_weight;

From the codes above, find:
    Code:
    and replace with:

Code:

//note that the "1" in the line below is the minimum weight for the shipping charge.  Anything weighing below 1, e.g 0.5 the shipping will still be charged as for 1
            if ($total_weight_units < 1) {
                                                       'cost' => (MODULE_SHIPPING_PERWEIGHTUNIT_COST * 1)
    	}	else {
    	}
    Thanks for reading