Plugin Contributions

Default How can I change the domain name of my website using the same server?

Hi:

I have the zencart version 1.3.8a, LINUX server and a godaddy hosting.

I have two domain names one that forwards to the other. The problem is that the forwarding domain is not allowing google analytics to do its job and i do not have any analytics records.
    I would rather use the forwarding domain name as the main name since that name is more valuable to us.

Question: how can I change the domain name of my website using the same server?

I really would appreciate your advice.
    Marlake

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How can I change the domain name of my website using the same server?

First you would need to have your Hosting account setup to use the Domain name you want.

Then go to your Registrar, presuming that's where your Forwarding is setup, and reverse your current Domain name settings for Forwarding.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How can I change the domain name of my website using the same server?

Hi:

But all my zen cart files, my configure.php files (and maybe others) have the old name. My other domain name (the forwarding one) is just a domain name without any website attached to it. I used that to redirect to my website (with the old domain name).

I thought I have to make an entire process of backups, changing configure files and other files according to the new domain name. I just do not know the process to follow.

Am i wrong?

Thanks,
    Marlake

Plugin Contributions

It is true that you would have to change your config files and some settings in your Admin; eMail address for example and perhaps changing database name. I was simply answering the question you had asked.

"Question: how can I change the domain name of my website using the same server?"

Plugin Contributions

THanks Rob.

Maybe somebody can explain me the process to follow?

I have an old domain name and I need to change it to a new domain name. I will be using the same server.
    Anybody know the steps to follow (backups, transfers, changes in configure.php files etc etc?) to change my old domain name to a new one?

Thanks,
    Marlake

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you're not changing the names of any folders where your files are stored, and if your hosting account name does not need to change, then you should be able to get away with just changing the URLs in your configure.php files.

As with *anything* you do when changing things on your site, you *should always* make full backups of database and files.

If you've put your domain name directly into any language files or template files, you'll want to update those, but that can be done after the change.
    Same with your email addresses in Admin->Configuration->Email Options and your store info in Admin->Configuration->My Store.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.