Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

help question Is there Something Like This Available

Hi All,
    Before I go out an reinvent the wheel I figured I'd check here first.

I'm putting together a site for an old mail order and phone order company. They have a huge customer base with customer numbers. Now that they want to focus on the website we will need for customers to:

1. Be able to enter their Customer number when registering.
    2. During checkout this customer number will be checked against an already populated customer # table in the db, if the number exists they will not be charged tax.

This rationale can also be used for shipping and other customer specific discounts but the tax free option is the most important right now.

The second part of this whole thing would also be the ability to view/add/edit/delete customer numbers.

I know it sounds like it's something that should be custom built but I was just wondering if there wasn't anything similar that I could modify.

I also know there's a tax module but this one requires the customer to first register then the admin has to set them to tax free. This is a hassle especially when clients are used to just calling in and placing their orders using their customer numbers.

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is there Something Like This Available

Quote Originally Posted by prosam View Post
    The second part of this whole thing would also be the ability to view/add/edit/delete customer numbers.
    From the Admin, I mean.

Plugin Contributions

A couple of alternatives and both require a bit of coding or DB work/savy...

Default - when a user registers they are given the next customer ID number....
    These could be adjusted in the DB to be the current customer #

Alternate: Each registering customer's login is their email address by default and I believe there is some error trapping code to insure that a well formed email address is entered - - rewrite this to allow this to be a customer # instead

Either is viewable from the admin side with varying functionality
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

The first one sounds interesting but like you said it will require quite a bit of DB and coding. I'm not much of a coder, I just dabble in it. Design is my forte so I was hoping there was something I could just tweak. But I guess not.

Plugin Contributions

But how bout this?

How easy would it be to include a tax exempt option into the coupon code generator? Cuz if that was an option we could just create a coupon code for every customer that they would enter at checkout. Then at the same time if a particular client is tax exempt plus gets free shipping it could be all tied into the coupon code. The we could rename the Discount Coupon box in the checkout to Customer # and instruct the clients to enter their number and boom it works.

I think this could work.

Plugin Contributions

There are a couple of tax exempt modules in the downloads section and I would use one of them for the tax exempt status
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten