Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Counter Hstory vs adding google analytics to track

Can someone please explain exactly what this shows.

Is session the no. of people who have entered my website and Total the number of products they have looked at?

What sort of figures should I be aiming for? My site has been up and running about a month now and today I had 189 for session and 2895 for total. Is this good, bad or indifferent? I haven't made any sales yet despite people looking.

How long have other zen users had to wait before getting their first sale?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Counter Hstory

Quote Originally Posted by karenkte View Post
    Is session the no. of people who have entered my website
    Yes, although I believe spider sessions are also included.

and Total the number of products they have looked at?
    Close. It's the number of pages viewed.

What sort of figures should I be aiming for? My site has been up and running about a month now and today I had 189 for session and 2895 for total. Is this good, bad or indifferent?
    Depends on the business in question. Generally, I would say that 189 "visitors" a day is quite a good amount.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Counter Hstory

Thanks for the info.

I would like to start using google analytics to keep a better track on things. When signing up for this you are asked to copy some text into the page of your website that you want to track.

I want to track my first page initially..........which file do I have to save this into? I am only a novice and not too sure. Can someone please let me know with the exact filename I need to amend.

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Counter Hstory vs adding google analytics to track

If you don't want to add the module you can add the following code to your tpl_footer file...

Code:

<!-- Google Analytics Code -->
    <script src="https://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" type="text/javascript">
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    _uacct = "UA-xxxxxxx-x";
    urchinTracker();
    </script>
    <!-- end of Google Analytics -->
    <?php
    } // flag_disable_footer
    ?>
    Maybe someone else on this site who's more experienced than me can double check the code to make sure it's okay, or may have a better way, but this worked fine for me until i had an SSL cert. installed, then not so much and i had to get the mod installed. But if your site doesn't have an SSL cert it should work fine. Takes 24 hrs for google to recognize it. The xxxxx's are where your own google id goes...
    http://www.thriftytots.ca
    Thrifty Tots - An Online Boutique offering new and innovative parenting and baby gear as well as previously loved clothing!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

There's a simple addon in the downloads area for adding GA to your site.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I've put analytics on my site, and that gives a much lower number of vistitors than the sessions and totals in my admin pages. Some thing like 30 sessions in the admin page, but analytics says only 1 visitor for the day. Can anyone give me some idea which one should I trust.

Plugin Contributions

I have found the same thing. I have over 5000 sessions per day on the Zen counter, but G Analytics says 1-6 visitors.

Plugin Contributions

Also, my Google Analytics says that the conversion rate is 101.27% How can that be? I wonder if it's only tracking home page hits.

Plugin Contributions

Well, the problem for me was just a result of my stupidity. My site is in a sub-directory, and I had GA set up for the root of my domain, but with a filter for the sub-directory. I guess that doesn't work. I changed the domain in GA to the exact URL of my store, and Bingo! The stats went from 2 visits on the 28th to 71 visits on the 29th.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by daiprinter View Post
    I've put analytics on my site, and that gives a much lower number of vistitors than the sessions and totals in my admin pages. Some thing like 30 sessions in the admin page, but analytics says only 1 visitor for the day. Can anyone give me some idea which one should I trust.
    Google Analytics will give a much more accurate picture of visitors. Ignore what the Zen Cart admin counter says, it is broken by design and will usually give extremely over inflated numbers.

Regards,
    Christian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast