Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Quick: Add Table: item by item or global?

My boss, who's a friendly, affable version of the strong silent type who doesn't like to ask directions, has to add a table to each item (84 items) in a T-Shirt category. The table has to show 1. Colors, 2. Sizes, 3. Quantity Discounts - with prices for all.

He knows how to build the table. But he suspects it has to be added 84 times, single product by single product. So far, he hasn't found a way to add it "globally" to all products within a category. (Without adding it to other categories" products.)

Is he right?

And if there is a more efficient way, feel free to reference the Zen Cart book. We have that. Or a tutorial. TIA...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Quick: Add Table: item by item or global?

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Have you looked into attributes? https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=57
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by afo View Post
    I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.
    Since I'm a middleman, I'm not sure if I can answer satisfactorily. Say we have a product in the categories/subcategories: Apparel > T-Shirts > White T-Shirts > Fire Theme. Say it has a silk screen of a firefighter's helmet, and is one of 10 t-shirts with different designs in that fire theme subcategory.

Customers have to be able to choose S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL, or 4XL and they have to know how much each of those options is. In addition, if they order several, they need to know where the quantity discount price breaks are and how much each is. Have to be able to choose the quantities they want.

My boss plans to handle all those options with a table. He says he's done that (or similar) elsewhere successfully. But he suspects that installing the table is a labor-intensive product-by-product process (for 84 products).

Our question is whether - rather than editing the individual products - we can edit the category (T-Shirts) to add that table to all products under T-Shirts.

It wouldn't be "fair" I'm guessing to ask how to do it. But it would be helpful to know if it is possible to do it on a category level rather than many times on a product level. And if it is possible, to have a simple pointer in the direction of how we can learn how.

I haven't followed the link you gave, since my responsibilities and deadlines are in other projects. But if the link contains an answer to that general question (is it possible?) then I will immediately forward it to him.

Thank you for replying. If I could change one characteristic of myself, it might well be that all my questions would be understandable.

Plugin Contributions

I understand the issue. I'm not sure I can help with it. Attributes are on a product by product basis.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

If you took all the Products in a Category ... and were to manually add all of the Attributes and their prices to each product one by one ... would you have entered every single product the same way?

If you were able to copy all the Attributes from products_id 13 to all of the Products in a Category ... would everything about the Attributes that got copied over to all of the Products in a Category be identical to that first product?

If so ... there is the Copy Attributes from a Product to a Product or to Copy all the Attributes from a Product to a Category of Products ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    If you took all the Products in a Category ... and were to manually add all of the Attributes and their prices to each product one by one ... would you have entered every single product the same way?

If you were able to copy all the Attributes from products_id 13 to all of the Products in a Category ... would everything about the Attributes that got copied over to all of the Products in a Category be identical to that first product?

If so ... there is the Copy Attributes from a Product to a Product or to Copy all the Attributes from a Product to a Category of Products ...

This client tries hard to keep things consistent, so there likely is little or no variation. None in what I've seen.

Sounds like Copy Attributes from a Product to a Product

and... Copy all the Attributes from a Product to a Category of Products

...might be time-savers. Perhaps the Zen Cart book and Zen Cart Help cover both of those...?

I'm encouraged.

Plugin Contributions

You might backup your database and then go to the Attributes Controller ...

Find the Product with all the correct Attributes ... or make one ...

Now click on COPY to PRODUCT or COPY to CATEGORY and you can copy all of the Attributes from either 1 Product to 1 Product or 1 Product to a Category of Products ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Ajeh knows more about attributes than I could ever hope to, so listen to her.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Afo and Ajeh, I appreciate the help. (Wonder if I'll ever know Zen Cart well enough to help others? If not, one can always contribute in other areas.)

My boss had just come across the copy attributes features. Am leaving here now to forward Ajeh's last message. Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

You'll be Zenned before you know it.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast