Plugin Contributions

Default Authorize.net-How long after authorize can I wait to capture?

I am setting up my website now but am working on payment options. Since we sell a lot of items that go up for preorder we often will put an item up for pre-order and then ship as soon as it's in stock. I know legally shipment is required within 30 days of charging a card. I know a good way to reduce chargebacks and to be fair is don't charge the card until shipment. 95% of the items are expected to be shipped within 2 business days.
    One thing we're looking at doing is doing an authorize of the card and then capture just before shipment time. I earlier posted about costs and if I'm correct the charge for an authorize and later capture is that there is a complete charge at authorize time and at capture time the transaction fee is just charged a 2nd time.
    The biggest concerns we have is about deadlines. Is there a certain time period after authorize until you capture such as a certain number of days of weeks?
    Also, for security reasons, I know at authorize time AVS is used and the card is authorized but at capture time is this done a 2nd time or would that be necessary? Is it likely safe waiting a period such as 2 weeks to capture?
    Thank you for help with the above questions.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Authorize.net-How long after authorize can I wait to capture?

These are really questions you should be asking your AuthorizeNet rep.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Yes, you should be asking your rep those questions.

Their documentation states that Captures must be done within 30 days; otherwise the authorization expires.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I used a different shopping cart (until recently) and used authorize.net. I used to authorize and then within 15 seconds was doing a charge on the same card.

Pretty fast.