Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default All images in one folder - good or bad?

Hello,
    I'm currently putting all my product images in one folder. I was wondering if this is a good or bad idea. I'm wondering if it will cause the website to slow down if the products customers are viewing has to pull through all that dat to pick the right file to display the image. I know from windows explorer when viewing a folder that has a lot of images, it takes a long time to view all the images.

So what are your thoughts? Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: All images in one folder - good or bad?

The code doesn't have to view each image. As far as I know, the main reason for using separate subfolders would be for human organizational purposes, if you have so many images that you can't keep them straight in one folder.

Plugin Contributions

Be careful, though. Many hosting services limit folders to 2000 files.

Plugin Contributions

2000 image files would be beyond what I would consider reasonable to organize in one folder, anyway... :)

Plugin Contributions

Although the Folder limit of 2,000 is just a Linux default and easily changed by the Hoster, it is also true that the number of files within a Folder should be easily managed by a Human. There is also the maintenance issue, having images separated by some sort of scheme that makes sense to the site Owner is just a good idea.

Plugin Contributions

Well, one of the reasons I chimed in here is because I am facing that exact problem- I took on a web site that was originally in ColdFusion, and when I got the database and images, there were over 8,000 images in one folder.

Needless to say, I'll be needing a very large bottle of aspirin sorting things out.

Plugin Contributions

Hoo boy! Good luck!

Plugin Contributions

Posted via Mobile Device

Plugin Contributions

Please forgive me if this is a total noon question. I have taken over administration on our website and have found that like bobdog I have an image folder with over 14k images. It takes forever!!!! What I was wondering is, what sort of steps do I need to take to start organizing this. Specifically, do I need to do any sort of code changes to move images into subfolders? I was thinking of organizing them by category as that would keep the folder at least manageable. Any pointers from people who know what they are doing would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that I know exactly nothing about Zen cart, how it was installed on our server or how to set it up etc etc. I am trying to remedy that as fast as I can.. Many thanks in advance
    Posted via Mobile Device

Plugin Contributions

Please forgive me if this is a total noob question. I have taken over administration on our website and have found that like bobdog I have an image folder with over 14k images. It takes forever!!!! What I was wondering is, what sort of steps do I need to take to start organizing this. Specifically, do I need to do any sort of code changes to move images into subfolders? I was thinking of organizing them by category as that would keep the folder at least manageable. Any pointers from people who know what they are doing would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that I know exactly nothing about Zen cart, how it was installed on our server or how to set it up etc etc. I am trying to remedy that as fast as I can.. Many thanks in advance
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast