Plugin Contributions

help question Local install on my Mac -- how do I do the Mercury settings?

Hi,

I have a Mac OS X 10.5.2. I bought the "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart" book to learn more about how to install Zen Cart and configure my website from scratch using Zen Cart.

I am up to Chapter 2: Installing Zen Cart on Your Local Machine. I have found some posts in the forum that were very helpful for interpreting the instructions for a mac user. However, I have hit a wall at page 38 "Configuring Mercury" and have been unable to locate a thread which covers it.

I am hoping that someone can help me by possibly listing out the equivalent file locations for a Mac, compared to that of the pc, for the following:

"Configuring Mercury" (Page 38) <xampp-home>/MercuryMail/MERCURY>INI

"Enabling cURL support in PHP" (Page 40)
    <xampp-home>/apache/bin/php.ini

Help on this would be great! Thanks

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Installing Zen Cart on Your Local Machine (Mac file locations)

In the short term, you can ignore that step and after you log in to your Admin area, go to Admin->Configuration->Email Options, and turn off "Send E-Mails" by setting it to "false". This will cause the system to not attempt to send any emails ... meaning you won't get errors because there's no mailserver running on your computer.

Alternatively, you could, in the same admin screen, choose SMTPAUTH for your Email Transport method, and then near the bottom of the screen fill in your mailserver SMTP credentials for your mailbox so that you can send your mail through that account. The only problem with that is that some ISPs will block port 25 traffic, and if you're specifying an SMTP server other than your ISP's server, you'll find emails won't work ("cannot connect to mailserver" messages).

Or, if you prefer to set up a mailserver on your mac, you'll have to find a program to do what mercury does. IMO you don't need that ... when you're at the point of being ready to test emails you're ready to run it on a real server anyway, so you could test it there.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Installing Zen Cart on Your Local Machine (Mac file locations)

Ok, that's great. I will just turn it off for the moment to move forward with the installation. Thanks very much!