Plugin Contributions

Default Always free shipping by product but only free in the US?

I plan to use the Zone Rates module, but I want a free shipping override so that certain products will be free, but in the U.S. only. I still want customers outside the U.S. to pay for shipping based on the zone price that's already set for their country.

I've tried a whole lot of different ways of making this work and I'm stumped.

Please help!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Always free shipping by product but only free in the US?

What determins that a Product is Free Shipping to a US customer to distinguish it from other customers outside the US?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

I've been tearing my hair out about the same thing so hoping you can help.
    I basically have a couple of products that would always be shipped free regardless of the quantity,weight or price BUT only to uk customers. Anyone outside of the uk would have to pay the normal rate for their zone.
    Using the "Product is always free shopping" flag and zone set to UK on freeshipper results in no shipping options at all for a non-uk customer because freeshipper is disabled because of the zone restriction and other modules are disabled because the cart only contains free products.

Plugin Contributions

Always Free Shipping is designed for a global Free Shipping to everyone as is Free Shipping freeshipper shipping module ...

You would need something to trigger Free Shipping that could be separate from these two features ...

It would take some customization to manage this with just a few lines of code ...

Perhaps someone who has written a feature like this will come along and be able to help on this ... or a glutton for punishment would like to take a stab at this ...

Otherwise, you may wish to post something in the Commercial Help Wanted for this feature ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

After pulling the last hair on my head, I think I may have found a solution and did require customization as you suggested though a very simple one. I don't know if this is the best/right way but it appears to do the job. Here goes...

I noticed that each shipping module calls a general function called "zen_get_shipping_enabled" in functions/functions_general.php. This appears to disable the other modules (zone flat in my case) when the cart only contains free products even though free shipping s not available because of the zone restriction. So as well as checking the cart contents I added a line to check if the freeshipper is enabled.

I changed this:
    case (($_SESSION['cart']->free_shipping_items() == $check_cart_cnt) and $shipping_module != 'freeshipper'):

to this:
    case (($_SESSION['cart']->free_shipping_items() == $check_cart_cnt) and $shipping_module != 'freeshipper' and $GLOBALS['freeshipper']->enabled):

I also noticed that the function does this check again in a different way (seems redundant to me) so I also changed this:
    case (($check_cart_free == $check_cart_cnt) and $shipping_module != 'freeshipper'):

to this:
    case (($check_cart_free == $check_cart_cnt) and $shipping_module != 'freeshipper' and $GLOBALS['freeshipper']->enabled):

Plugin Contributions

Yes, if you have the understanding in coding, you can do a lot with that function to manage the shipping modules and control them beyond the current settings ...

Thanks for posting back the solution that worked for you ... it is always of great help to others to see such subtle changes to the code and how things can be altered to achieve the customization a shop might need ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

gmail -

Sounds great that you got it to work. I'm about to pull my hair out too.

I changed the function, set up free shipper zone to USA only and table rate the usual rates. I changed the product to always free shipping. When I enter US I get the free shipping, but as soon as change the ship to country I get the message, "Sorry, we are not shipping to your region at this time.".

How do your setting vary? Any ideas what I did wrong? I am on 1.3.8.

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Hey KingBono,

Sorry only just saw your post as I've not been around.

My settings are pretty simple:
    - Freeshipper (not freeoptions) set to UK zone
    - Zone Flat set up with 3 zones - uk, europe and international

You are using table rates so there is an extra hurdle to check the weight to work out the right price.
    Have you assigned a weight to the "always free shipping" products and does they fall into one of the table rates?
    Otherwise, table rates probably doesn't work with "always free shipping" products so will need a code change - I guess I was lucky with zoneflat.

Sorry I can't be any more help.