Plugin Contributions

Default Discount, order total and paypal reporting

Hi there,

I just had a query from the lovely lady that deals with our accounting stuffs. Here is wahat happened:

A customer bought a book (say $10 + $5 postage and packaging).
    The customer used a discount coupon we provided to get a fixed amount of $5 off the order
    In zen cart you can see all this just fine.
    In the paypal(our merchant service) activity report it shows postage and packaging as $0

The numbers are right in terms of the correct final amounts went to the right places but it would be good to have all the information visible - including that there was a postage charge.

Now I do have my cart set up like this:

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...oupon+shipping

which I understand will stop a percentage discount from being applied to postage costs and I had assumed it'd work on fixed discounts too but I'm not exactly sure of that now...

Is there a way to get those postage costs to show in the paypal reports?

Cheerio for now,

Alan

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Discount, order total and paypal reporting

Using the PayPal IPN Website Payments Standard payment module, only the final order purchase amount is sent to PayPal.

If you want to send detailed line-item or subtotal details, you'd need to use the Express Checkout module. Note that if any discounts apply to the order, even the Express Checkout module doesn't send line-item details, since PayPal cannot handle negative values in their cart-validation arithmetic.

Data already submitted to Paypal cannot be changed retroactively. So your old reports will not change regardless of which module you might switch to.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Discount, order total and paypal reporting

Thank you for the information DrByte - much appreciated. It seems really weird that paypal can't handle negative values etc but hey ho...

For what it is worth the particular transaction was done with the express checkout module, certainly in previous similar transactions (without a discount) the postage and packaging had shown in the reports which is doubtless what prompted the query.

I guess if want that info we'll have to quiz zen carts records which is fair enough.

Thanks again for the help!

Cheerio for now,

Alan