Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to Duplicate/Mirror a Store on the Same Server/Account

Hi all!

Bumping old thread.

My goal is to make duplicate of the shop I have now on the same domain/server. I have copied whole old shop folder tree under a different folder (/store => /newstore). Called my service provider and asked to duplicate the old db and name it differently. Changed the configuration files under /newstore so the paths go /newstore and changed db name.

What else do I have to do to get the /newstore working? I get the error (error connectin to database).

Any input will be much appreciated!

Thank you.

Plugin Contributions

Your error is telling your that the updates to configure.php file to point to the new database are wrong (assuming that your host actually did what you asked of him).
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kuroi View Post
    Your error is telling your that the updates to configure.php file to point to the new database are wrong (assuming that your host actually did what you asked of him).
    Thanks. Do the host have to create new user also for this new database, or can i just use the same that old site is using?

Plugin Contributions

No, you can use the same user and password. Indeed it's usually easier to do that.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kuroi View Post
    No, you can use the same user and password. Indeed it's usually easier to do that.
    Thanks again. Gonna call the host and ask whats the problem with the db. I will post here how it goes and if some problems appear.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by misty View Post
    Also possible to install zencart on your own home computer
    using WAMPP or XAMP
    Generally speaking which is more recommended, to install WAMPP or XAMP on your computer or to go through this thread's suggestion of creating duplicate LIVE and TEST sites with 2 different SQL and PHP? If a site needs to move from www.Domain.com/TestStore to www.Domain.com/ (LIVE)?
    Using Zen Cart 1.5.1

Plugin Contributions

Could their be incompatibilities, if PHP and or MySQL versions, options don't exactly match?
    Using Zen Cart 1.5.1

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin205 View Post
    Could their be incompatibilities, if PHP and or MySQL versions, options don't exactly match?
    Well, of course there 'could' be incompatibilities. But let's reverse-engineer your question and look at it another way: if what you're installing has no prerequisites that the destination server is missing, then the differences between options is largely moot.

You can put your bed into a room that is painted yellow or painted blue or painted white. But since the bed and the purpose for which the bed is there have no dependencies on the color of the room, the color of the room is moot and can be disregarded.
    But if you're trying to put it into a much smaller room such as a closet and the bed is larger than the space available, then of course there is an incompatibility. While you might be able to stand the bed on its end to make it fit, it wouldn't be able to function according to its intended purpose as a bed.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

DrByte - I got lost in the bedroom's size and colors painted!

Which method do you recommend?

From what I understood, you prefer the off site, setting up the test site on your on PC. Correct? Thank you.
    Using Zen Cart 1.5.1

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I always test my upgrades on a separate server. Usually my own computer. Then apply the changes to the live server when ready: http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading
    Exact same thing when experimenting with customizations and/or adding plugins. Same procedure applies.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast