Plugin Contributions

Default Tax Exempt Customers

I have numerous customers that sell to churches. Their customers need to be able to select that they are tax exempt and have a place to put their tax exempt number in. I see a couple add-ons that allow the admin to do that, but not for the customer to do it when creating their account or placing their order.

Can someone please tell me if that is possible and/or how?

THANKS!
    Pam

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Tax Exempt Customers

Hello Pam,

There is an Add-On for 'Customer_Tax_Exempt' that is only handled through the Admin side. I sell to Churches and Charitible organizations and the California Laws state that they must fill out a form, declaring what they are going to buy from me, loosely, and that I have a copy of their exemption certificate in their customer file. Being an Admin approval, it allows you to put their exemption number in position, which will in turn, stop the taxation. Think about it, if any new customer logged in and was able to add an erroneous number to avoid paying taxes ? It's wise to keep it under Admin control, they can fax in a copy of their certificate, most states have a website where you can verify the validity, then once you or your clients are willing to assume the taxation responsibility, they can change the customer's status to non-tax for further purchases. Give them a gift voucher for a refund on taxes spent, once they complete their requirements of giving you proper documentation to protect you at tax time. It's an easy install, worked first time for me. Good luck.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Tax Exempt Customers

Hopefully the Tax Exempt Mod Contributor will pickup on this one.. ? I am having some minor issues in that I would prefer to put my Customer's Resale Number in the 'trigger' field vs. "ALL". This is at Step 2 of the Shopping Cart Checkout;

Sub-Total:....................$19.90
    Store Pickup (Walk In):...$3.00
    Group Discount:............-$9.95
    0:.................................$0.00
    ..:.................................$0.00
    Total:..........................$12.95

The two lines with empty dollar amounts change, based on what you type into the trigger line ? The example above, is from typing in "State Sales Tax", which is in the line/field hint description.

Sub-Total:.....................$19.90
    Store Pickup (Walk In):....$3.00
    Group Discount:.............-$9.95
    State Sales Tax:..............$0.83
    Total:............................$13.78

The above example is from typing EXEMPT or the Customer's Resale Number, either way, it charges them tax ? Right now, specific keywords are required to cause it to react right vs. any text should/could/would turn it off ?

Sub-Total:.......................$19.90
    Store Pickup (Walk In):......$3.00
    Group Discount:...............-$9.95
    Sales Tax:........................$0.00
    Total:.............................$12.95

Then the above is when I type in "ALL" ? Some how even the description of the tax changes too, based on what is typed in ?

What would be the simpliest way to change your mod so that if ANYTHING was put in that line/field, would cause it to not charge tax ? I looked at your code and you have it triggering to "ALL". I haven't spent the time yet, to learn PHP enough to change the line from.. == "ALL"; to an equal of greater than empty > ""; ? I noticed that your else statements cover the line 'to' charge tax if it is blank.

Sorry, I validate software for Intel Corp, so the Debugger rears it's ugly head once in awhile.

Anyway, the resale # needs to be close to the customer's info and your line/field would be a great place for it ? It just can't trigger on specific key words, as each state has their own numbering sequence.

Anyone ?