Plugin Contributions

help question Applying coupon multiple times

I have created a discount coupon, say for $0.50 and want it to be applied to each product purchased. When the coupon code is entered, it shows a discount of $0.50 on the checkout page, even though I have purchased 5 products. I want $0.50 coupon to be applied 5 times with a total discount of $2.50. Can this be done and if so how? (We are trying to sell a product for a special price as part of our email campaign and that is why we created a discount coupon. We want customers to buy multiple products to take advantage of the discount).

When I created the coupons, I kept uses per coupon and uses per customer field blank for unlimited use.

I am a very new user and don't know my way around zen cart. Also, we have a very basic installation with no customizations. System details are as follows -

Zen Cart Version Zen Cart 1.2.7
    Database Patch Level: 1.2.7
    Server OS: Linux 2.6.24.7 Database: MySQL 5.0.45-log
    PHP Version: 4.4.7 (Zend: 1.3.0)
    HTTP Server: Apache

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ayurfoods (www.ayurfoods.com)

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Applying coupon multiple times

For a large number of reasons, you ought to upgrade to the latest version of Zencart.

1.2.7 was last used by Adam, when he started selling forbidden fruit out of the Garden of Eden.

1.2.7 is full of security holes, and is additionally "non-functional" for many of the payment gateways in operation. There are a lot of other code issues that make using this version impractical and, (to be frank) dangerous.

If you want to offer discounts on your individual products, a coupon is not the way to go.

Either use sale-maker, specials, or the quantity discounts feature.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your response and I will take your suggestion to upgrade under immediate advisement and will act on it.

As for your suggestion to use salesmaker or specials, I have created a special but that does not have any provision for a
    promo code. I want this special limited to those from our email campaign only and not to our regular customers. How can I tie a promo code to a specials program? Thanks for your help in advance.

Ayurfoods

Plugin Contributions

It may not be perfect but you can set up a discount coupon as a percentage of the order price, with or without a minimum order price they must meet.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

Interesting idea for using %. QUestion is would it apply to the complete order? I will give it a try and let you know. Thanks Vger.

Ayurfoods.

Plugin Contributions

I tried Vger's idea of using discount % instead of fixed dollar amount and it worked. Discount was applied to the entire purchase. That's good and it achieves my purpose.

However, this seems like a flaw in the system - that it applies % discount to the total, but does not apply a fixed discount to quantity i.e. if you have a $0.50 discount per product and purchase 5 products, discount should be $2.50. I think it can be easily fixed if in the coupon creation process, it asks whether the discount is to be applied to the quantity or the order total. Of course, underlying code will have to be changed but it will be a minor change. I would like people's opinions on this.

Thanks Vger for your idea. I appreciate it.

Ayurfoods.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

In Coupon Manager

ADMIN>>>GIFT CERTIFICATE/COUPONS

You can RESTRICT the use of a coupon. (Call up your coupon, and on the right hand side you'll see an array of buttons - click the one that says RESTRICTIONS)

You can now drill right down into restricting the use of that coupon to an individual product.

Downside is that if you want to have MORE THAN one product on a coupon reduction, you run into problems, becuase only ONE coupon can be used by a shopper during checkout.

However, if the VALUE of the single coupon is applicable to more than one product, then simply add more products into your restrictions list.