Page 15 of 64 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Local Sales Tax Mod - Support Thread

I have reorganized and sorted the data by county so now it is: County, City, Tax. I am not adverse to setting tax using county if that will make it more accurate.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plugin Contributions

psychicpet,
    As I said in my previous post, the city by county method is considerably more complicated to set up.
    To use this method you will have to set up each county in CA as a zone. Then the tax file you have will have be modified to reference each zone id for each county name.

There are a lot of CA business using Zen so it is possible that someone out there has already done this and could share their zone tables with you (it would depend on their needs vs your needs in terms of international zones). Otherwise you will need to set each of these up yourself. There are instructions in the mod README file on how to set up counties as zones. Unfortunately its a lengthy process.
    LadyHLG

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHLG View Post
    patternman,
    Try this,
    Open includes\modules\order_total\ot_local_sales_taxes.php

At about line 151 look for :
    Code:
    $listarray = explode(";", $taxto);
    Just after that add the following:
    Code:
    // get only first 5 of zip code
    if($taxmatch == "postcode"){
    $myfield = substr($myfield,0,5);
    }
    This fix will only work when the CUSTOMER enters zip+4 NOT if the database is set up for zip+4!

Hope that helps!
    LadyHLG
    What is the best way to set up the database to use and require Zip+4? The State of WA is telling us that because of the multiple taxes within each Zip that the ZIP+4 is the only proper method to use.

Also, there were questions/comments within the thread that asking about linking to the State of WA's database to check. Has anyone been able to do that?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by techdog View Post
    What is the best way to set up the database to use and require Zip+4? The State of WA is telling us that because of the multiple taxes within each Zip that the ZIP+4 is the only proper method to use.

Also, there were questions/comments within the thread that asking about linking to the State of WA's database to check. Has anyone been able to do that?

Indeed, I am also in the State of WA.
    At first I just wanted to use the first 5 numbers - and the solution worked. But I trashed that idea eventually because it wasn't really accurate.

I have no idea about a mod to link to the state's database, but that would sure be helpful.

So I used the excel sheet from the dor for the ZIP+4 rates (short version).
    I then had to do heaps of work to get the zip codes into a list of ranges - to cut down on the size of the whole thing. This saved a lot of space, but the list is still quite huge.
    Then had to get it into the format to use with this mod (which has been very nice). Then uploaded it using Access. Here are the column headings that I used:

local_tax_id should be numerically sequenced 1 thru ...
    zone_id should all be the same for the WA zone -- 62
    local_fieldmatch should all be the same -- postcode
    local_datamatch should be the list of zip code ranges
    local_tax_rate should be the list of local rates formatted as 2.1 instead of 0.021.
    local_tax_label is the list of city names
    local_tax_shipping should all be the same -- false
    local_tax_class_id should all be the same – 1

One of the tricks to using the ZIP+4 is that the customers need to give you a ZIP+4. So I am using the Post Office CASS Address Verification module:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...987#post659987

My setup works quite well. You can check out my store at www.fashionpatterns.com. There is a small delay at checkout when the correct tax code has to be found.

I went ahead and dumped my local tax table and am posting it here in case anyone would like to have it.
    http://www.fashionpatterns.com/downl...tes_090410.zip

I have been reluctant to post this because I offer no real help or guarantees of it working correctly. Nor am I ready to offer updates every three months when the state changes their rates. But if helps, go ahead and use it.

-Jason A.

Plugin Contributions

OK Thanks. I've checked out the CASS Address verification and it looks easy enough. Question though - how do you upload the the information using Access? Do you just import it into the mysql database? I don't use access but I can create csv, xml, excel, etc. files using FileMaker Pro. I've just never thought of how to upload the information from outside of the initial interface.

Thanks again.

Karl

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by techdog View Post
    OK Thanks. I've checked out the CASS Address verification and it looks easy enough. Question though - how do you upload the the information using Access? Do you just import it into the mysql database? I don't use access but I can create csv, xml, excel, etc. files using FileMaker Pro. I've just never thought of how to upload the information from outside of the initial interface.

Thanks again.

Karl
    Hi Karl,

Using MS Access was just the convenient tool for me at the time. If you have a better or easier way to do it, please do that instead.
    I've attached a pdf file for using Access to do this. I wrote this for myself so that I could do it again if needed (because I will surely forget).

Cheers.
    Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plugin Contributions

help question Mulitiple lines of the same tax displayed

Thanks for the Local Sales Tax Mod! It makes the sales tax issue simple! Question for you.

I am using the local sales tax to search the suburb field. (I'm in OH, so I use the suburb field for counties). Whether i use Store Pickup or Shipping Address, multiple lines for the same tax are displayed on the screen. (Please see screen shots).

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Plugin Contributions

juills,
    I'm not sure where the issue is, the mod appears to be functioning correctly. 7% sales tax on $2.75 is $.19.
    Those lines above are only for debugging to show which records are zone matches.

LadyHLG

Plugin Contributions

help question Re: Local Sales Tax Mod - Support Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHLG View Post
    juills,
    I'm not sure where the issue is, the mod appears to be functioning correctly. 7% sales tax on $2.75 is $.19.
    Those lines above are only for debugging to show which records are zone matches.

LadyHLG
    Is there a way to turn the debugging off?

Plugin Contributions

Modules -> Order Total -> Local Sales Taxes -> Debugging is Active = False

LadyHLG

Page 15 of 64 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast