Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default New template installation

Hi,
    I did follow the instructions about the override system and creating folders CUSTOM (with my chosen name) to put my own infos, then I went to admin and configure tools/template selection to this CUSTOM template.
    OK
    It worked, except I ended up with an ugly (of course to my taste/needs) template instead of the "not so bad" classic template. What do I need to do to, either keep the classic template, with my CUSTOM folders, or download one of your free template.
    Do I need to name the downloaded template CUSTOM, or does it is supposed to keep its name ??

Also, the downloaded template does not want to unzip...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New template installation

I don't know of any of the templates available on this site that don't unzip, and unfortunately, since you haven't said which one it is, it's not feasible to check it.

Normally, you would leave a downloaded template with the name that it was given by its author. Unless you have a specific reason to change it, there's no reason to do so.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

help question Re: New template installation

Since this topic came up and I'm having a problem finding an answer to my question, I thought I'd ask it here.

I'm completely new to zencart and have ordered the manual to help but haven't received it yet.

I downloaded a free template locally to my computer. How to I import it so I can start using it? Is this done through Admin somewhere or into database on the hosting provider?

I'm lost. Sorry!

Thanks,
    Stephanie

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog & The Bone View Post
    Since this topic came up and I'm having a problem finding an answer to my question, I thought I'd ask it here.

I'm completely new to zencart and have ordered the manual to help but haven't received it yet.

I downloaded a free template locally to my computer. How to I import it so I can start using it? Is this done through Admin somewhere or into database on the hosting provider?

I'm lost. Sorry!

Thanks,
    Stephanie
    You'll need an FTP client (such as FileZilla) to upload the template to your server.

Unzip the template file and follow the instructions in the readme/install text file.

Plugin Contributions

OK, forget about the new free template, I will keep the green classic for now.

After having created my CUSTOM folders, following the instructions provided there:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=143,
    when I switch to CUSTOM in the admin, the template becomes very ugly. I do not want that, and I do not want to have to change everything in the presentation (because I don't know how to yet).
    If I choose to keep the CLASSIC, which is really OK to me for starting, where do I need to change all the modifications I am making: like changing the title of "page 2", "page3", or the titles of some columns ? Do I rewrite on CLASSIC ? What about if there is an update, will it erase what I did ?

Thanks for your answer.

Plugin Contributions

If you modify the files in the /classic folders, all the changes will be overwritten with the next upgrade/update.

Installing templates generally involves uploading the folders/files to the server. If all that's involved is the /includes folder, you can upload that to the root of your Zen Cart and the rest will take care of itself. You'll have to select the new template in admin>tools>template selection. Templates usually come with a "read me" file with installation information.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

1. Something else that I don't get is :you guys always say, "it has to be uploaded to the server". Well, all my zen cart is already on public_html (under another file named "ecommerce" as I set it up through my host).
    Question 1: Should all my zen cart be somewhere else ? On my computer ?

2. If all my files in the /classic folders will be overwritten, were should I put my modified files ? I understood in CUSTOM, but, as I said before, when I choose CUSTOM in admin>tools>template selection, the template becomes ugly, also I did not make any changes... So I am back to square 1.
    Question 2: What did I do wrong, or what can I do to take care of that ?

Plugin Contributions

If you downloaded the zipped fileset from Sourceforge, you uploaded to the server when you sent the unzipped files there. If you installed by Fantastico or the like, you probably haven't done any uploading yet.

It is always a good idea to have a copy of the Zen Cart files on your local computer; you need to download a file to your computer to edit it, then re-upload it, so it can save time to have the files already there. Also, having a full identical copy of the files locally is good in case something bad happens to your live site.

If you like the Classic template as a base to work from, you can (before you start editing) copy all of the /classic/ folders and their files to /your_template/ folders. Then follow afo's instructions above.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by AHeartForTheEarth View Post
    Hi,
    I did follow the instructions about the override system and creating folders CUSTOM (with my chosen name) to put my own infos, then I went to admin and configure tools/template selection to this CUSTOM template.
    OK
    It worked, except I ended up with an ugly (of course to my taste/needs) template instead of the "not so bad" classic template.
    After doing the Template switch did you also do this:

Admin > Tools > Layout Boxes Controller
    - click the 'reset' button at page bottom

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Website Rob View Post
    After doing the Template switch did you also do this:

Admin > Tools > Layout Boxes Controller
    - click the 'reset' button at page bottom
    Thanks Rob, it works, I had missed this step.
    And I have put all the necessary files from CLASSIC into CUSTOM, and now my website looks better every day.
    I am really seeing it coming. And I am learning so much. And I have spent so many hours (most of them doing that: !).

I am feeling the zenning coming slowly. (Hey, I did not even know what FTP meant before I started).

I am so looking forward to be able to put my website on review.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast