Plugin Contributions

help question *HOW* to fix Known Bugs is clear, but how do I test them?

The problem I have with the thread of "Known Bugs (and fixes) with v1.3.8" is not with applying the fixes: The instructions for doing this are clear and straightforward.

My problem is testing them.

In order to test that *I* applied the bugfixes properly (you know, it's a manual process and thus human-mistake-prone), I have to:
    • Understand how to operate that fixed feature/function
    • Have that feature/function enabled.

For example, since I am not using Linkpoint, I have no way of testing whether fixes #13, #19 and #22 were applied *by me* without any glitch/typo.

Therefore, in order to make sure that I am not introducing problems instead of "perfecting" the system, I simply skip these fixes.

However, there are fixes that I can test, if I only knew how to test them.

For example, how can I test fix #20?

What is the approach other Zen Cart users are taking in order to make sure that applied bugfixes are not making things worse (by mistake, of course)?

Do you recommend adopting the following "standard Microsoft hotfix practice"?
    "This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix."

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: *HOW* to fix Known Bugs is clear, but how do I test them?

Generally, php is "hyper-sensitive" to code errors. If you miss something, you'll (at best) get a blank page (or partial blank page), or some other error on-screen.

Just be very careful and methodical when adding the portions of code to the php files in question.

Also, make sure to use a plain text editor when editing code files (editors such as notepad++ or Crimson Editor are recommended).

Finally, before you edit a file, create and store a COPY (backup) of that file, so if you make a mistake you can delete the faulty file and replace it with its original version.

Try this approach with one of the files you'd like to update. If it causes your world to cave in just replace your edited file with the backup and try again.