Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: HOW customizable are these templates?

Quote Originally Posted by afo View Post
    You don't need to upload Zen Cart to your server. Just unzip it on your local drive. You already have Zen Cart up and running on your website.
    Oh for pete's sakes! Now you tell me LOL!

Well, I suppose going through that couldn't have HURT right?!

So basically I just need to choose a template, click that download, and then check to make sure it's in the dropdown of my admin?

I'm having a hard time finding one now that both hubby and I can agree on. He says it has to be full (or nearly) full page, have boxes for the categories, and he likes having the header. I really want tabs, or at least a bit of space between links on top. So many of them look smooshed to me!

Is it silly to just "try a few"? Is it going to be a long process and waste a bunch of time changing them? Is there anywhere that shows the different templates being USED in current stores so I can see them "in action"?

Plugin Contributions

Seeing them on http://(sorry, site offline)/ is seeing them in action.

A lot of what your talking about can be handled in the admin or by editing the stylesheet, so I wouldn't worry too much about that now.

When you download a template, it downloads the zip file to your computer, not your site. You'll have to FTP the template to your site before you can see it in the admin. If you unzip the template on your computer, there should be a "readme" file with instructions included with the template.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

I guess I was hoping to see some that people had already starting to customize. That's ok though, I'm in the process of trying to download one and I'll see how it goes =)

Plugin Contributions

If it helps any, my nephew's site in my sig is the Future Zen template which I modified slightly. It's a pretty basic template.

Check the template support threads. People may have listed sites which use the free templates. http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

I have it downloaded on my computer, but I don't see any readme file. I tried to click on the info icon but it says that windows cannot open the file and it needs to know what program created it.

I went to my hosting place and do see it there. I highlighted it, and it looks like it must already be extracted, because it doesn't give me the option to do so. Yet, I go to my admin, and it doesn't show up there.

Any ideas?

Plugin Contributions

Most files will load fine in Notepad so you can read the contents of them,

when you download a template it should already have the correct file structure to be uploaded straite to zencart, so all you need to do is use your FTP program to upload all of the files which were contained in the template download,

Then goto Admin > Tools > Template selection and you should be able to select it from there.

Plugin Contributions

Are all of these templates not compatible with the different zen cart versions? I guess I'm trying to figure out why I can't seem to get this on my admin page! I don't know why this is so hard for me

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by flobster View Post
    Most files will load fine in Notepad so you can read the contents of them,

when you download a template it should already have the correct file structure to be uploaded straite to zencart, so all you need to do is use your FTP program to upload all of the files which were contained in the template download,

Then goto Admin > Tools > Template selection and you should be able to select it from there.

Nope, no readme file at all. Just some basic info.

Plugin Contributions

So remember I said that she (the designer) gave me a link to zencart admin? I have been using that. Is there any chance that when I downloaded zencart onto MY computer, it was a different version, and THAT is somehow messing up this template thing?

I have tried to download two templates now. They are both on my computer. I have successfully gotten both of them to my file manager of the hosting place. From there, I can't get them to show up in my admin dropdown for templates

Plugin Contributions

I can't tell you what I did, but somehow I managed to get the new template to show in my dropdown

Now to figure out the customizing.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast