Plugin Contributions

Default Removing catagory titles on main page only??

Hi there. Here's what I am trying to do... At the moment, on the main page I have an image for each category. Under that image is the text of what the category is. I want that text removed so that just the images are showing.

Any ideas how I could go about this?

So far I have tried just not giving the categories names - doesn't work as it removes the text from the top header menu too.

Site is at:
    plantperfection.co.uk
    login email address: skyegospel##################
    password: Test1

Many thanks for any help you are able to offer,

Stuart

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Removing catagory titles on main page only??

You would need to edit the php file to not echo the category title.

IMHO, it's not really a problem as no one will want to sign in just to look. Hopefully you've got this set to hold back the masses while you perfect the site.

Right now, there's no way for the customer to know that they have an opportunity to get 10% off or free shipping.

And, while I'm on my soapbox, why would you not want the customer to know the names of your items?

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your reply dbltoe! I totally get where you're coming from. But, yes, the sign in is just temporary because my client wanted to keep people out until it's all up and running (probably still a couple of weeks) and do a kind of big launch of it.

The reason behind trying to hide the category text is because the images have the category names on them already. I do want the text below all the subcategories and products and so on... I only want rid of them on the home page itself so that there are just the 9 images laid out. Does that make sense?

Thanks again for your help. Is it possible to have them not echo on the main page only?? Or would it work across the board?

Stuart

Plugin Contributions

Around line 38 of includes/modules/mother_earth/category_row.php (copy it over if not there), you'll need to edit out one of the "categories_name" to do what you want. Remember that one of them is the alt for the image and must remain. Your other images need alt as they are missing.

BTW, there's a simple add-on to Firefox that kills the javascript protect instantly. And, some of your images have px in the height and width. Okay for css but html don't like. You have an href missing for the SalesHotline.gif.

Plugin Contributions

Many thanks for helping out again! I have made the alteration from the file site-wide now, but would you have any idea what I would need to do to it to restrict that change to the main page only? I just don't know php at all (though I am guessing it would be doable by a line of coding saying "if page is main_page do this [blank version] else do this [text version]... am I on the right lines? If so I cna play about with trying to find code but would love a confirmation that this is do-able :)

Thanks also for your advise on the other things. I have removed the href from the Hotline image. Can I ask a couple of things...
    1. I hadn't realised that putting px measurements wasn't good practice for html... what would be the best way to input the sizes?
    2. Could you give me a name for that Firefox addon you mentioned? Sounds like something handy to have, especially because as the site is in the developement stages I am always checking up on image file sizes and locations and things by right clicking and am finding this little copyright add on to be a real pain for this.

Thank you again for your help. Much appreciated,

Stuart

Plugin Contributions

You're welcome.
    You can put the original statement back in the file and create an if...else that fires the change only if on the main page.
    On the height and width, just put 160 or 248.

Plugin Contributions

Great - thanks for the info.

Stuart

Plugin Contributions

Easy way i to add this to your css
    #xxxx {
    display:none;
    }