Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Move only database to a new server?! Possible?

Hiya folks,

At first I hope i didnt post this to the wrong place in the forum. I have not found a thread so far concerning what I would like to do. I am planning the following stunt:

I want to move the database to a new server, but leave the files on the old one. My old server, where the files are located is www.XXX.com and the new server where the database will be located will be www.YYY.com

How do i have to change the config files to make that possible?

Please, I appreciate any help, I really need to do this.

Thx to all

D.C.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Move only database to a new server?! Possible?

The important question is "WHY?"

If you do make the move, you're going to have to deal with a number of security issues and networking issues. You'll have to configure the new server's firewall and database to allow connections from another server. You'll have to create new database users to allow connections from the other server. You'll have to post a note to your customers that you are passing all your data across the internet without encryption. You'll have to adjust the old server's configuration to point the database to the new server. You'll have to deal with the fact that your site will suddenly be a whole lot slower than it is now because of connection latency between the database server and your webserver.

If you're going to move, it's generally best to move the whole thing, rather than just pieces.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.