Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default Tell me about SSL

Is it really needed if we are going with a pp only payment system right now?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Tell me about SSL

The conventional wisdom says 'Yes' because people can be hinky about providing the information needed to create an account in an unsecured form, and SSL certificates aren't really that expensive, as long as you're in the US.

My personal view, as a visitor, is that the information I provide when creating an account in Zencart doesn't include anything someone can't get from our local phone book. The only problem I can see is the possibility is that someone could log in as me and change the shipping address. But then, I don't buy from Paypal-only sites if I can help it.

Bottom line - spend the 50 or 60 bucks and get the SSL cert. It makes your site look more professional, too.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Aside from the technical advantages of encrypting data during transmission, SSL has a psychological advantage in today's world of e-commerce.

A few years ago, the web-shopping public had no idea what SSL meant, or why it was important, but consumers today are far more savvy about Data Protection and web security.

Remember... it's not just the financial transaction that's important to protect. Customers also provide personal data - names, addresses, contact info...

Personally, I would never shop at a site that was not fully SSL protected, and most of the people I work with feel the same way. There is evidence to suggest that increasing numbers of web shoppers agree with this.

SSL is cheap and relatively easy to install (your host will probably do it all for you), and the cost is likely to be recouped within the first few sales on your shop.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you both. I totally understand what you are saying