Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Exclude certain categories from new products module?

I'm using version 1.3.9d, and this didn't work for me at all, in fact it even disabled showing all the new products,

There is an add on called Hide Categories. That might work for you. We use it to disable categories that we provide direct links to for certain customers.
    Of course I went mad with power. Have you ever tried going mad without power? It's boring. No one listens to you.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks a lot.. although i'm using 1.3.9h and the coding changed a little bit.. but this thread really help me to exclude some category from new product... this is what i am searching for a long time..

thank you very much...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by monkeytown View Post
    There is an add on called Hide Categories. That might work for you. We use it to disable categories that we provide direct links to for certain customers.
    I know this is an old thread, I just thought this was funny. I was trying to hide a category from something and thought to myself "why re-invent the wheels... let's see what others have come up with" and I saw your link to HideCategories. I thought, "hey, that's clever"... lol... then I realized I wrote HideCategories. *sigh*

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
    I know this is an old thread, I just thought this was funny. I was trying to hide a category from something and thought to myself "why re-invent the wheels... let's see what others have come up with" and I saw your link to HideCategories. I thought, "hey, that's clever"... lol... then I realized I wrote HideCategories. *sigh*
    Circle of life. :)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

I can't get this to work on the new_products.php file in 1.54. I've added the line:

AND p.master_categories_id != 86

twice where necessary and the products in that category still show up on my main page in the new products listing. HELP!

Plugin Contributions

Could it maybe be because the category is hidden? This wasn't an issue in 1.39.

Any thoughts at all? I can't find an answer in the forum after hours of searching and nothing I try works.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by jmsnyder23 View Post
    I can't get this to work on the new_products.php file in 1.54. I've added the line:

AND p.master_categories_id != 86

twice where necessary and the products in that category still show up on my main page in the new products listing. HELP!

You say above that using master_categories_id. This won't hide products that are linked to that category... If you want none of the product that appear in the category to be displayed then the query of product though needs to include a reference to the products_to_categories table and then to omit the products that are assigned to that category... (At the moment not doing the leg work to support this path if I'm barking up the wrong tree.)

The next thing is which new product(s) area are you wanting to affect because I thought I recently had to modify at least two files to address all new_products. There is also/possibly code in an applicable header_php.php file or simlar inthe includes/modules/pages directory...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks! I figured it out. Apparently the template I'm using had a different new_products.php file that was overriding the default one. I didn't realize that. When I found it, I added the line there twice and it excluded the right category like I wanted!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by jmsnyder23 View Post
    Thanks! I figured it out. Apparently the template I'm using had a different new_products.php file that was overriding the default one. I didn't realize that. When I found it, I added the line there twice and it excluded the right category like I wanted!
    Welcome to the template override system. That is/has been the way to manage changes to the store's operation for the most part. It also makes upgrading a bit easier to leave the base files unchanged and only edit the override files.

Glad you were able to resolve the issue and letting others know that it was resolved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12