Plugin Contributions

cart error paying with mutliple currencies via paypal with the Aust Post Module

Hi guys

Just wondering how I can change my currencies with the austpost module.

My client wants the site to charge in USD however the austpost module returns AUD.

It is possible to flag the module telling it to return the prices in USD by converting them on the fly?

I have installed the Zen Cart currency changer which does change the currency of the austpost price. However these exchange rates need to be manually inputted. Also when the user is redirected to the paypal site to pay, the total price passed is in AUD. The currency conversion just disappears.

If using the Zen Cart currency changer is the best option, how can I automatically update the exchange rates and tell paypal which currency the user is paying in.

Cheers

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: paying with mutliple currencies via paypal with the Aust Post Module

Quote Originally Posted by Snype View Post
    Hi guys

It is possible to flag the module telling it to return the prices in USD by converting them on the fly?
    There is nothing in the module coded for that, but I can't see why it couldn't be implemented. OTOH, I also cant see why it is needed. Zen-cart supports many different currencies by default, all you need do is set your base currency to AUD and ensure you have your other currencies enabled. That way, any customer will be able to see all costs in their own currency.

zen cart converts on the fly.

I have installed the Zen Cart currency changer which does change the currency of the austpost price.
    I'm not familar with this module or its purpose, unless it is to alter the *base* currency from one format to another, but generally speaking this is NOT what most people want or need to do (there are exceptions).

However these exchange rates need to be manually inputted.
    zencart has inbuilt facilities to obtain exchange rates from several different servers. It works a charm.
    There is also an add-on module available that will allow the rates to be updated on a regular basis

Rgds
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: paying with mutliple currencies via paypal with the Aust Post Module

Rod

You say that Zen Cart support multiple currency. I think this is what I have already done as I added the currency picker (the side box). However it requires the admin to manually update the exchange rates.

I did not previous word it correctly. I haven’t installed a module more added the currencies side box to my layout.

How can I get zen cart to update the rates on its own. I am unfamiliar with this process.

I guess if all the prices where displayed in a user native currency and the rates updated automatically, it should be fine for paypal to have the currency in AUD. As long as the conversions match up. Be nice if the system could use the same rate servers as paypal.

Plugin Contributions

Rod

You say that Zen Cart support multiple currency. I think this is what I have already done as I added the currency picker (the side box). However it requires the admin to manually update the exchange rates.

I did not previous word it correctly. I haven’t installed a module more added the currencies side box to my layout.

How can I get zen cart to update the rates on its own. I am unfamiliar with this process.
    The updates can be 'forced' (no need to enter exhange rates) from
    /admin/localisation/currencies and clicking on the 'update currency' button.

To perform this automatically you'll you'll need to install the automatic currency update mod.
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=430

For further enhancment you might also want to take a look at the 'user currency' module.
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=284

I guess if all the prices where displayed in a user native currency and the rates updated automatically, it should be fine for paypal to have the currency in AUD. As long as the conversions match up.
    It works fine for us.

Be nice if the system could use the same rate servers as paypal.
    It probably can/does. It really depends on which servers PayPal uses.
    Even if not, as long as the exchange rates are updated regularly there will only be a few cents variation for any given order. In other words, the default servers are close enough for practical purposes. Sometimes the 'error' will be a few cents in your favour, other times it'll be in the customers favour. Theoretically it all balances out.

Having said that, there is an entire industry of stock market 'day traders' that essentially make a living out of the hourly/daily exchange fluctuations, and they count on the fact that it doesn't have to all balance out. They need to buy and sell at exactly the right time though. A few minutes delay can make the difference between profit and loss. A zencart store doesn't need this kind of accuracy though. A daily update is more than sufficient.

Cheers
    Rod