Plugin Contributions

Default eternal HANG on send newsletter AND export email addresses

i crashed my database twice yesterday trying to send a newsletter - pressing 'send' on the newsletter page AND attempting to export email addresses both result in an eternal hang. when persisting and trying different email settings, i got an 'unable to connect to database' error that made my whole site disappear for nearly an hour.

what the heck??!!?

any ideas why this happens?

any alternative way to retrieve the email list / newletter subscription list from my zencart installation so that i can use an alternate newsletter solution?

i'm running 1.3.8a

thanks for any ideas - or even if you just want to commiserate or brainstorm with me.
    zencart installation is at http://oyinhandmade.com/shop

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: eternal HANG on send newsletter AND export email addresses

and now after trying to send 2 order update emails through the admin interface, i have reached the not connected error. and my site is GONE for another hour or so.

0 DB_ERROR_NOT_CONNECTED
    in:
    [db_cache table]
    If you were entering information, press the BACK button in your browser and re-check the information you had entered to be sure you left no blank fields.
    what the HECK is going on? other db-driven parts of my site (such as oyinhandmade.com/oyin, a wordpress installation) are FINE. is my zencart database corrupted? how would i find that out? why does it get disconnected so mysteriously and then mysteriously reconnect itself? if i knew what was going on i could at least stop doing it!

arrggggh!

Plugin Contributions

in the interest of context: my installation has been running pretty much seamlessly for more than three years.

about six weeks ago i switched to googl hosted apps for my email hosting. i made no changes to my zencart install and continued to be able to do all my admin backend as normal.

yesterday i tried to send a newsletter and have crashed the db three times.

this is not the first time the db has crashed, but never so much. it did so a couple of times over the summer (pre- any email server change, and when i wasn't doing anything particularly grueling in the backent) and i thought it was related to my host. but since the zencart installation is the only thing that crashes i am now thinking it has something to do with my zc database.

Plugin Contributions

There's some info here about using GMail with Zencart:

http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...s#Google_Gmail

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Have you asked your hosting company what the server is reporting as the cause of the database being inaccessible?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

i submitted a support ticket at my host at the same time as i started this thread, and got the following response:

Hi,
    We checked your issue,there is limit in database connections in shared servers.
    This server had low configuration.We increase the maxconnections in mysql server.Your website will work without database issues.

Thanks.
    however, even after these changes were made, i'm still not able to export email addresses or send a newsletter.

any other ideas here of what might be causing the hang?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

this was it, this was it, this was it!

thank you so much for posting the fix!