Plugin Contributions

Default Trying to refund a capture - error 10009 - You cannot refund this type of transaction

I have a problem. This is the error that appears at the top of the screen:
    Your Refund Request was rejected by PayPal. (You can not refund this type of transaction) 10009

I don't recall running into this problem when I did a Capture through paypal.com instead of through zen-cart, but I suppose it must have been so.

Any progress on this issue?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Trying to refund a capture - error 10009 - You cannot refund this type of transac

PayPal is telling you clearly: You cannot refund that type of transaction. Perhaps you have to void your capture instead?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Trying to refund a capture - error 10009 - You cannot refund this type of transac

I don't have a void option in the zen-cart customer order GUI. Also...void should only be applicable before the transaction went through, but I saw that the money left my bank account (since I'm the one who tested out this order scenario) yesterday. I still cannot issue a full or partial refund.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

What options do you see for that transaction on the *PayPal* website?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

In Paypal.com, it says (I've summarized the following):

Shopping cart payment received.
    Original authorization: Type:authorization; status:completed
    Related transaction: Type: shopping cart payment received; status:completed

Options:
    Refund:
    You can issue a refund for up to 60 days after the original payment was sent. PayPal refunds the payment and fees, including partial fees for partial refunds.
    Issue Refund

Plugin Contributions

As per my above comment...

Under the "action" column in paypal.com, for the record of type: Payment, rather than type: Authorization, I only see "print shipping label" as an action. I'm not sure if that column is an indication of what parts would be exposed in the API that zen-cart uses. Under the record for type:Authorization there are no available actions.

I also checked out a transaction that I had not captured, and compared the actions available for this transaction in paypal.com. Under the "actions" column they offer "capture" and "ReAuth", but upon clicking "Details", I also have the "Void" option.

In the zen-cart comments for the authorization and fund collection there is a Transaction ID and a Trans ID, and I thought it was strange that the two were different although the Trans. ID (notice the punctuation after "Trans") matches "Transaction ID" instead of Trans ID.

Upon looking in Paypal.com, I noticed that the Transaction ID: xxxx(see below for the zen-cart comments) for the authorization, it matches the authorization transaction ID in paypal.com, which would seem to indicate the correct transaction is being accessed. The payment received part in Paypal.com also matches the zen-cart funds collected comment Trans.ID.

So I don't think the ID's could have something to do with the incorrect rejection of payment refund...but here's what they look like (with important info stripped out):

Here are the comments:
    First:
    Transaction ID: xxxx
    Payment Type: Credit Card (WPP)
    Timestamp: 2008-12-02T00:22:33Z
    Payment Status: Authorization
    AVS Code: blah
    CVV2 Code: blah
    Amount: 0.04 USD

Second:
    FUNDS COLLECTED. Trans ID: yyyy
    Amount: 0.04 USD
    Time: 2008-12-15T20:55:44Z
    Receipt ID: zz-zz

Plugin Contributions

Is that the kind of info you were looking for? I can look into whatever configurations may be important in the files and database if there would be any helpful information there. I mean...I would think it's a small overlooked configuration since this is the sort of refund that should be allowed. So...either the steps that zen-cart is taking to pull information from zen-cart are off, or it's something on the paypal end, which doesn't appear to be the case from what i pasted above.

I just need help with finding out where to look.

Plugin Contributions

you need to use the do void option, enter the auth code into that box and hit void, that will void the auth off and paypal will cancel it. I have used it a few times and know it works without any issue.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by flobster View Post
    you need to use the do void option, enter the auth code into that box and hit void, that will void the auth off and paypal will cancel it. I have used it a few times and know it works without any issue.
    But...I don't have that option because I captured the payment already.