Plugin Contributions

Default Problem with Taxes

I have an issue with taxes, they are charged to everyone no matter where they are, we only charge taxes for NJ residents.

Can you please explain the way it must be configured in order to charge Sales Tax only to NJ?

What I have is:
    in Admin>Locations/Taxes>Tax Rates>Priority Tax Class Zone Tax Rate Action
    1 Taxable Goods New Jersey 7.00%

and in

Admin>Modules>Shipping>USPS>Tax Class
    Use the following tax class on the shipping fee.
    Taxable Goods

Tax Basis
    On what basis is Shipping Tax calculated. Options are
    Shipping - Based on customers Shipping Address
    Billing Based on customers Billing address
    Store - Based on Store address if Billing/Shipping Zone equals Store zone

Shipping
    Billing x <<< Selected
    Store

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problem with Taxes

You need to set up NJ as a Zone, then set the tax rate for NJ only. I generally try to give better instructions, but setting up zones is a colossal pain and I haven't mastered it myself -- see the tutorial, maybe you can do better than I have.
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]Sylvia
    PM at your own risk, I don't check in regularly!
    MamaSylvia.com My ZenCart tutorial
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

Thanks anyway, I figured it out myself a little earlier, it was kind of confusing but I checked the only option left in admin ...

I configured NJ tax and it worked like a charm!

under details, I found there was an insert I haven't tried so I configured NJ Tax zone in the US and voila! Everything started to work ...

Plugin Contributions

I configured mine the same way however EVERYONE is still getting charged NJ Sales Tax. I have one zone, defined as NJ with tax rate of 7%. Tax is used on shipping address. Not really sure where to look next since every thread I find leads in a dead end or someone saying they figured it out but not giving specifics.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You probably don't have any zones defined to your zone definition. Did you explicitly choose USA and New Jersey from the pulldowns in order to restrict the zone to just that region?

ie: see the FAQ/Tutorials section for answers to common questions such as setting up taxes: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=76

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Dr. Byte, I have the same problem. I even deleted my sales tax configuration for Virginia and followed the tutorial again with the same result. Here is my configuration:
    Basis of Product Tax: shipping
    Basis of Shipping Tax: shipping

Zone Definitions - Taxes, Payment and Shipping
    Zone Name - Virginia Zone Description - Virginia Sales Tax (zone status is green)

Here is the information from the information box to the right of the entry for Virginia:
    Number of Zones: 1
    Number of Tax Rates: 1
    Date Added: 04/05/2010
    Description: Virginia Sales Tax

Under Details is shows:
    Country United States Zone Virginia

In Tax Rates is shows:
    Priority Tax Class Zone Tax Rate
    0 Taxable Goods Virginia 5%

In the Shipping Module I am using the table rate with these settings:
    Shipping Charge
    Enable Table Method
    True

Shipping Table
    200:24.00,100000:12%

Table Method
    price

Handling Fee

Tax Class
    --none--

Tax Basis
    Shipping

Shipping Zone
    --none--

Sort Order

I have a test customer with an in-state billing address and the same in-state shipping address and a second out-of-state billing address. When I create an order for that customer and choose the in-state shipping address the sales tax correctly computes on only the product cost. However when I create an order choosing the out-of-state address it still computes the tax on the product cost. In a post from Feb '09 from a user in TN who had this same problem you said:

csmith's problem is that they've not properly defined their Tennessee zone to be limited to Tennessee, and it's actually referring to the entire country.

I think I have the Virginia Zone correctly identified as being a zone inside the US but maybe I'm missing something. I have emptied my cache several times to make sure it's not picking up old data but nothing helps. I am running version 1.3.8a. I'm sure it's simple but I'm not catching it. Help?

Plugin Contributions

Try setting the priority to 1 and see if it works better ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Ajeh, thanks for the tip but setting the priority in the Tax Rates section to 1 didn't affect the behavior. I have done some more testing and I think this issue is a bug. But maybe I broke something in my customization so here goes.
    If I create a customer with an out-of-state billing address it correctly computes no tax. However, if I create an in-state shipping address and choose that address it still calculates no tax despite the fact that the configuration says to use the shipping address (previous post) for tax calculations. It appears that, either it is not picking up the shipping address setting from the configuration or it is making a calculation based on the billing address and not recalculating when the shipping address changes. I lean toward the first scenario but nonetheless I don't have a solution for either. In roughly 7 years of operation I don't recall having the test scenario actually come up (one address in-state and one out-of-state). But I really don't want to go live with the cart without clearing this up. BTW: I previously set the address calc settings to Store and then back to Shipping to try and force it to recognize the setting. Suggestions anyone?