Plugin Contributions

Default fedex setting "always free" weights to "0" on upgrade..help please

I have a few products that offer "always free shipping" and when customers select an expedited shipping method for these products, the weight being transmitted to FedEx shows as "0" on the shipping estimator screen. I have "free shipper!" enabled and "Free shipping options" disabled and this method has worked well for me for 6 months. Now that many of my customers are opting for the expedited shipping (due to the weight reflecting -0- pounds thus making the expedited shipping "appear" cheaper), I need to find a way to have zen send actual weights to FedEx for the estimator as opposed to -0-.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: fedex setting "always free" weights to "0" on upgrade..help please

Look at the other shipping modules and how they manage the $this->enabled in regards to Free Shipping ...

I believe the FedEx code is missing this and not able to manage Free Shipping properties correctly ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

I see. Thank you.
    the module is working fine and assigns free shipping to the items I have marked as "always free shipping".
    For some reason, the weight is getting set to "0" for shipping and estimated shipping calculation even though I have the proper weight set in the product details.

I am not a coder but am thinking perhaps referencing the variable that contains the proper weight for shipping estimator and actual shipping might be a fix?

does this sound correct?

Plugin Contributions

So are you trying to use Product Weight and Always Free Shipping on the same Product?
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

In a way.
    I want the product to have free shipping by default, which it has now and works well. Some of the customers opt for "overnight delivery" or some other expidited service which shows up as an option on the shipping estimator screen and also prior to checkout.

The problem is that the rates that are showing up for the expidited services are very low since it appears that ZenCart is setting the weight to "0" for estimation purposes and also at checkout for all items that I have marked as "always free shipping" .
    In the product fields for the above products, I have the weights set to 4lbs for instance and when the customer goes on to estimate shipping costs, zen shows the weight as "0".

It seems to be a simple fix but I am not a coder and not sure what to do.

Plugin Contributions

Everything is written that Always Free Shipping means ... Always Free Shipping ...

It really isn't designed to work both ways ...

You would need to do quite a bit of customization to have the weight count for one thing and not count for another ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Thanks.
    Well like I said, it is working fine except for the fact that the weight is getting set to "0" while doing a shipping estimate.

Some variable, somewhere, must be carried over with a value of "0" in order to pull that rate quote or perhaps there is no variable, defaulting to no value - thus "0".

Wouldnt there be a way to set the weight value to the actual weight of the product just prior to the rate quote, and then again at checkout.

It seems like s simple fix for a coder

Plugin Contributions

Afraid I do not have a copy of this code to even test it to see what can be done to try for a work around on it to make it work in a different manner than was intended on shipping ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Ok, well thank you for trying. I am not sure what to do now other than wait to see if someone has any ideas on how to alter that variable.

If you think of anything, I thank you in advance.

Have a nice holiday.

Plugin Contributions

Hey Linda (AJEH),
    Just wanted to thank you for the help and thanks for responding to my private messages. Everything is working perfectly and I really appreciate YOU!.

Have a great year and if I can ever return the favor....just ask.

Ps I am sure I'll be contacting you again so try to save a slot for me :) )

Sincerely,

Robert