Plugin Contributions

Default Customer can't get to Checkout Confirmation

Our store has been open for about 14 months, going great! Typically when we get a customer on the phone with a "your site isn't working", it turns out to be user error (imagine that!)

So, today i received a call from a customer who "couldn't check out". (using IE7) After going through the normal troubleshooting, we found that she had successfully made it to Step 3 of Checkout (Checkout Confirmation). However, she claims that when she clicked on the "Confirm Your Order" icon, it took her back to step 2. I was a bit skeptical, so i asked her to do this again, and it happened again. When i looked in "who's online", her page status was changed from "checkout_confirmation" to "checkout_payment", so it seems she's right. however, I have been unable to replicate this issue. Anything that should have prevented a successful checkout stops them before they get that far (invalid cc, under minimum order $, etc) i've placed several subsequent test orders, with no problems. I was thinking maybe it was some issue with paypal trying to go back/forth but
    a) she says she was using cc, not paypal
    b) i've also placed a test paypal order, no problems.

anyone heard of or experienced a similar issue?

i suppose i might ask her if we can log in under her account and play around with replicating the error if necessary - but that doesn't exactly scream "professionalism", now does it. :)
    Last edited by jc8125; 30 Dec 2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: edit

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customer can't get to Checkout Confirmation

I don't think there's anything unprofessional about trying to solve her issue.

I'd install the Master Password mod, so you don't need to ask for her password to log in to her account.

Plugin Contributions

Ask her if she is using Windows Vista with Internet Protect Enabled. It sometimes throws a loop and returns page last visited.

It may be as easy as your client needing an explorer update.

Or

Have you noticed this with anyone else?
    Windows, BSD, Linux, Cisco, Hardware & IT Security Tech
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting

Qdixon's Security Blog

Plugin Contributions

@stevesh - i've read about the admin password contrib before, but didn't think of using it for this circumstance. thanks for the suggestion.

@qdixon - i hadn't heard that issue from Vista Internet Protection(although not much surprises me from MS anymore). I'll check with her on that, and also look into the IE upgrade angle. No, i haven't seen this issue from anyone else - so i'm hoping it's a fluke thing.

i'm going to take stevesh's suggestion and log in as the customer, noodle around some, and will report back any findings.

Plugin Contributions

hmm.. installed master password contrib and logged in as user. attempted credit card, money order, and paypal orders - all successfully completed.

even when i entered an invalid card number, it correctly took me back to the checkout_payment screen and displayed an error.

the only possible solution i can think of is that perhaps the customer was redirected to the payment page due to an invalid card, and somehow missed the bright red error warning at the top of page? however, i don't see a record of a declined trans.

i suppose i'm going to chalk this one up to a holiday season glitch. if it reappears, i'll follow up.