Plugin Contributions

Default Can't get to Admin area, Just getting a Blank Screen

Hello all,

This is my first time working with zencart, and I am trying to get familiar with the system so I will be able to offer a shopping cart solution to future clients. Right now, I am trying to set up a "dummy" store on one of our older domains (not to ACTUALLY sell anything just yet, but rather so I can experiment and become comfortable with zencart)

After I was excited about successfully installing zencart, I was crushed after trying to get into my admin area for the first time...

Instead of a login page or admin account info, I get a blank screen. Completely blank. Ugh!

I searched the faq and found the following guide:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=84

Unfortunately, though, none of the suggestions worked for me. Here's what I did for each suggestion:

Section 1: Since my admin page won't show at all, I thought this would be my solution. I located the /admin/.htaccess file and renamed it to ".htaccess_bak". That didn't work, so I tried naming it "htaccess_bak". No luck there either. So I moved on to section 2...

Section 2: I cleared my browser cache, cleared all cookies, and still no luck. My browser does accept cookies. Still I think this isn't my problem, b/c as far as I can tell, this isn't a session problem (it's a blank screen problem!)

Section 3: As I stated above, I don't actually intend to sell anything from this specific website. Therefore, when I was installing zencart, I DID NOT enable SSL because I won't actually be processing transactions at this time. Would that have messed things up somehow?

Section 4: I know my admin username and pw, I just can't figure out where to input it!

Can anyone help me to understand what went wrong? I am baffled, especially since I felt good about the installation and I believed that I did everything correct on my end. I followed all the setup instructions provided in the docs.

The domain where I installed zencart is (warning: mature theme) sexualenhancement.net. The store itself seems to be up and running ok, just not the admin area:
    http://sexualenhancement.net/store/admin/index.php. If you look, you will see the blank screen too.

How can I fix this?!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can't get to Admin area, Just getting a Blank Screen

A blank screen is a result of a PHP error. In your case it's likely due to one or more bad files as a result of one or more failures during your FTP upload.
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=82 - see the utility mentioned in step 2a.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can't get to Admin area, Just getting a Blank Screen

Thanks, DrByte!

I downloaded the Debug Error Logging Utility, then started to upload it as recommended to the "admin/includes/extra_configures" folder on my server.

Well, guess what? There was no folder named extra_configures in my admin/includes folder. So I have a confession to make:

I used SmartFTP originally to upload all of my files. It's the only ftp client I've ever used, and I thought I would be fine. That's why I was doomed from the start!

I downloaded Filezilla (which I'd been meaning to get around to anyway) and uploaded all the files again to my admin folder. Problem solved.

To any other newbies: don't ignore zencart's warning! Using SmartFTP for uploading all the zencart files is a sure way to screw things up!