Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

help question Using GoDaddy - How do I install Zen Cart?

Well I just PMed GDSupport and will keep you all posted if there is a reply.

I selected godaddy as a host simply based on recommendations from other forums. I did not want to learn HTML code and their Website Tonight seemed to be the thing for me. Only about 10 days into it and it does have its drawbacks/limitations.

I need to install some sort of shopping cart and I was considering just using the buttons that PayPal offers, and just copy/paste the HTML code into the WebPages, but have hit a road block as I want to modify the (only) button (add to cart) that I see offered on Paypal site.

Then Zen Cart was recommended, after downloading v 1.3.8, and unzipping it, I cannot even find the .exe file to do the install.

So I will report back when I receive the PM from GDSupport.

Your comments are welcomed.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Using GoDaddy - How do I install Zen Cart?

It's a web application for doesn't have a .exe file. Instead you load the files (unzipped) into you web hosting space and simply go there in a browser.

Zen Cart will detect that it is not yet installed and take you through a step-by-step installation process.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the quick reply....I'm trying to plug away at this but its slow going. Is there a link that you can pass on (for dummies) that will explain how to do what you are describing?

Plugin Contributions

If it's still not too late to get out of GoDaddy, maybe you can get the money back. GoDadday and Zencart don't play nice with each other.
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by yellow1912 View Post
    If it's still not too late to get out of GoDaddy, maybe you can get the money back. GoDadday and Zencart don't play nice with each other.
    I agree...

... but in order to use and customize Zencart, you do need a reasonable knowledge of website management, including basic html, how content-driven (database) sites work, ftp, and CSS.

It may be that paypal buttons are OK for you right now. If you are set on Zencart, then a reliable host is essential. GoDaddy is arguably the most unreliable host for Zencart.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Why does everyone slam GoDaddy?

I find their customer service to be great (24hr phone support is amazing) and their price is unbeatable.

I am brand new to Zen Cart and had no problem installing it on my GoDaddy account in 15 mins.
    Last edited by Kim; 7 Jan 2009 at 08:46 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by GoNinja View Post
    Why does everyone slam GoDaddy?

I find their customer service to be great (24hr phone support is amazing) and their price is unbeatable.

I am brand new to Zen Cart and had no problem installing it on my GoDaddy account in 15 mins.
    Their servers are reputed to be heavily overloaded, and their server configurations are very unfriendly for zc use.

Have you started trading on your site yet? Wait until you get frustrating messages from customers experiencing problems!
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I've had to move a client off them before since it wasn't just Zen Cart that had problems with their setup, our database management tool simply couldn't access the database 95% of the time.

You'll also find problems reported with GoDaddy and Paypal and Zen Cart needed special GoDaddy code at one point to cope.

You'll also find a chat from earlier today in the Zen Cart 2.0 discussion thread to the effect that GoDaddy servers still default to the now obsolete php4 and don't provide a full range of features for php5 which will be required for Zen Cart 2.0.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

When I looked GoDaddy had over 3700 websites on the same ip address that I was on. It took hours to back my site since the server moved at glacial speed. FTP timed out. Tools sucked. It was only after I left that I found out what a REAL host was all about.

Do yourself a favor and find another host. GoDaddy may be a great registrar but they aren't a good host.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kuroi View Post
    You'll also find a chat from earlier today in the Zen Cart 2.0 discussion thread
    That's a thread I'd like to read but can't find it. Have a link? Things have been so hush-hush about 2.0 I hope I don't need a security clearance to read it (though if needed I had a clearance years ago while in the army - does that count?)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast