Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default How do I remove the background color from the breadcrumb div so it's transparent?

Hello all,

I've encountered another "brick wall of a problem" that I can't seem to figure out for myself. I've searched the forums and I even did quite a bit of googling, but I still can't find the solution to my problem.

What I want to do is make the breadcrumb div (#navBreadCrumb) transparent, so my underlying gradient image shows through. However, I just can't get it to work.

I have tried the modifying the code in my override file (my customized template stylesheet) as follows:

#navBreadCrumb {
    background-color: transparent;
    }

-- but, that doesn't do the trick (I guess because if I set it to transparent, it reverts back to the style rules described in the original stylesheet).

I'm assuming that I could just go into the default stylesheet and remove the color property there, but surely there has to be a way I can do it in my custom (override) stylesheet, no?

I plan on using transparency in other areas of the design as well, so I really need to figure out how to do this! I would greatly appreciate it if someone would shed some light on the problem for me.

Please disregard the domain name, as it's completely unrelated to this shopping cart I'm trying to build for another site. (I don't have access to my new client's server at the present time, so I picked an old domain that I had access to.) The url is (warning:mature theme) : http://www.sexualenhancement.net/store/

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do I remove the background color from the breadcrumb div so it's transparent?

You have both a stylesheet.css and a stylesheet_old.css

Unfortunately, due to the way ZC loads stylesheets (which is very handy in some circumstances) the _old one is loading, and as you suggest, is probably overriding what you're trying to do.

If for some reason you need to leave the _old one on your server, just rename it to stylesheet.old or some other name that does not end in css. This will cause ZC to ignore it. But best to keep a copy locally just in case, then delete it from the server.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do I remove the background color from the breadcrumb div so it's transparent?

You can not have your old stylesheet in the css directory with the extention of .css
    By rules ###### .css files are parsed in order. Delete it or change the extention to something besides .css
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Thanks guys... that was exactly my problem!

I had no idea that zencart still referenced the older stylesheet. I thought renaming it would eliminate it from the mix, but I guess ZC pulls all css files from the CSS folder, even those that I thought it didn't even know about!

Anyway, I renamed the older stylesheet to stylesheet.old, then went back and changed the breadcrumb div style as follows:

#navBreadCrumb {
    background-color: transparent;
    }

That did the trick, as I now have a perfectly transparent background for my breadcrumb section.

Thank you so much for taking the time to point out the not so obvious (to me anyway)!

Plugin Contributions

For those who may stumble upon this thread later, there is a readme file in the stock CSS folder (CSS_read_me.txt) which explains how Zen Cart picks up stylesheets.

Funny thing about readme files -- few people read them. Maybe they should be referred to as readme-or-die.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

It's not the way "Zen Cart picks up stylesheets". It's the way stylesheets are used and were designed to be used. It's what CSS stands for (Cascading Style Sheets). All files with a .css extension will be picked up by the browser. It doesn't matter if you're using Zen Cart, straight HTML or any other method of building a website.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Not true.

In a static HTML site, only stylesheets specifically linked in the head meta tags will be used to render the page (including any other stylesheets referenced by an @import command within the stylesheets mentioned in the meta tags.)

Zen Cart has code designed to locate all stylesheets in the css folder and use all of them, and it does so by noting the .css filename ending. I suppose this is done in part to make things easier for new users, but also to add the page-specific and category-specific ability which would be hard to manage in a dynamically rendered site in any other way.

Rob (who has been coding in HTML, XHTML and CSS since they've been alive)
    Last edited by rstevenson; 7 Jan 2009 at 04:26 PM.

Plugin Contributions

You're correct. My mistake. I shouldn't post late at night or before multiple cups of coffee in the morning (especially when multitasking in COBOL).
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

No problem. I think I'll go have another coffee myself.

COBOL?!?

Rob (whose last-used programming language was HyperTalk)

Plugin Contributions

COBOL allows me to eat and live indoors and has for over 20 years. Without it, no coffee... or all-important donuts.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread about CSS.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast